Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   JB Weld Again and Half _ _ _ed fixes (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/jb-weld-again-half-_-_-_ed-fixes-49104/)

bostongrun 04-18-2012 09:18 PM

JB Weld Again and Half _ _ _ed fixes

2 Attachment(s)
I found another great application for JB Weld on my Disco 2

1. The blade of the key seperated from the holder. It's actually a set up that is made to fail. Way too much torque is exertred when the key is turned clockwise. I carefully reinforceed both keys with a dab of JB Weld at the crucial point so as to reinforce them. Be carefull not to get carried away and seal the batteries.Attachment 9667

2. There is a piece of metal that protrudes from the driver's door frame that serves as an anchor for the pin in the door strap. Over time it becomes fatigued and loosens up causing an annoying clicking sound. You can strategically build up JB Weld and strengthen the fatigued piece and keep it from flexing.

3. I found some pins at Autozone called "Headliner Repair Kit" made by Custom Accessories that are very discrete transparent pins used to anchor sagging headliners. I you install them carefully, discretely and symetrically you will amazed at what a big improvement you have for less than $5.00. I was thinking of redoing my headliner but after "pinning it up" I decided that it was not worth the effort.

4. People doubt my JB Weld, expansion tank repair, after the unfortunate trouble light misplacement, but I would venture it's now stronger than it was the day it left the factory mold. The trick is to first plug the hole, let it cure, then add succesive concentric layers, waiting for each layer to cure for a while. I have ordered another from Rock Auto for $31.00 US plus $10.00 simply for cosmetic reasons. I tried to pry the patch off the tank with a screw driver as a torture test but it was impossible the grey goop is going to spend enternity with it's white plastic host. Attachment 9666

94svt50 04-18-2012 09:45 PM

Jb weld is some interesting stuff. I fixed my power steering pump leak by replacing the gasket between the two pump parts with a bead of jb weld.

Frank4 04-18-2012 10:34 PM

Dude I have JB on my heads where the clean air injection bungs used to be. Holding strong for 11k miles. STUFF WORKS!!

buick215 04-19-2012 12:42 AM

The Land Rover Gods are going to get mad if they aren't already. You got JB weld on the battery cover as well as the fuse box cover. :mad:

hilltoppersx 04-19-2012 05:44 AM

you're going to be pissed when your sunroof starts leaking and you have to tear out a million little pins

shanechevelle 04-19-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 314337)
you're going to be pissed when your sunroof starts leaking and you have to tear out a million little pins

yes ! Lol

bostongrun 04-19-2012 07:53 AM

The fuse box got burnt too!!

I had to seal the fuse box, it got burnt too.

My model doesnt have sunroofs, which is fine by me. I already have a Z28 Convertible, a 328i BMWwith a sunroof, a Volvo 850 with a sunroof and 99 Honda Accord V6 Coupe with a sunroof. I actually think sunroofs are a little overated as an accessesory because I never use them that much it all. I live in Minnesota it's either too cold or too hot. A few years ago we were out in Western North Dakota in Roosevelt Nat Park, the car was surrounded by a heard of Bison that were butting up against the car. We were able to take photos via the sunroof because the sunroof's opening was big enough to crawl through. The Disco's sunroofs are too small for photography. A large sunroof is also usefull if need to escape from a vehicle that goes through the ice on a frozen lake. Driving on frozen lakes is a large part of the recreational experience in cold climates like Minnesota where the lakes are frozen from December until the end of February.

buick215 04-19-2012 03:05 PM

Bostongrun, not to derail your thread but how do you like your Volvo 850, has it been a reliable car? How does it compare to your BMW and Honda?

bostongrun 04-19-2012 04:42 PM

Volvo 850

The 850 is the best car, I got for the $. I paid $2600.00 for it with 103k. The only thing is that I broke my cardinal rule for buying a car. "always bring ramps and look underneath before you buy" I didnt and guess what the Rear Main Seal went out!! It was just too cold in Minnesota to crawl under there in January.

Volvo 850 are great cars that run forever but they blow rear main seals like crazy because of the awful pvc system that requires removal of the intake manifold to clean or replace. It's not a big job for even an average wrencher, Ive done four times. It takes like four hours the first time now I can do it in two. You dont even have to buy any parts; just clean the "oil seperator" in gas or whatever. Usually, most car owners neglect this service because the dealers want $900.00 for it. What happens is that the dipstick starts to pop out, then you get oil on the valve covers, then the cam seals leak, then the rear main seal. The rear main seal requires removing the tranny, no small job on a front wheel drive car.

If you are going to buy one, take the oil filler cap off and look for excessive smoke. Put a piece of cardboard over the oil filler; if it takes off like a kite you got a crankcase pressure issue and the seal is going to blow.

The root of the probelm is due to longer oil change intervals, on all cars, now. People are led to believe that if they use synthetic oil they only to change oil every ten thousand miles. This casues sludging which leads to engine failure and clogged crankcases.

Getting back to the Volvo, it's the best all around car, I ever had. They dont rust because the metal is thick unlike jap cars, the timing belts are super ez to change no motor mounts to remove or crankshaft pulley!! The timing belts are wide and thick (twice as wide as a Volkswagons or Audi's) so I ve never heard of one breaking. Parts are cheap and ez to get, I just bought brake pads from Rock Auto for $10.00 and a ball joint for $9.00 plus shipping.

One coment is dont get one w/o a turbo because they are slow and tediuos to drive. With a turbo they are great because you get 24 mpg highway but can still merge onto a freeway w/o grindding your teeth.

Boxkid1 04-24-2012 06:09 AM

I had a 95 850 Turbo wagon ( actually called an 855 ). Was a great car. Got my wife and kids thru 11+ years of nearly trouble free duty .One of the best engines I have ever driven. When you stepped on it , it was like being shot out of a gun . Only problem was it was a Turbo and you are on borrowed time with Volvo turbos. Turbo finally cooked at 175K and , since you cant bypass them, a new one was needed. A new company car arrived and I couldnt justify the 2K expense , so I sold it my mechanic for $2500. Still see it banging around town today.