Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep to Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep to Discovery

Hi guys,

I have a 200 Jeep Wrangler now. Its my daily driver and I've slowly been getting into off roading. I've joined a local club in CT ( though I'm getting a little skeptical about that ), and have done some trips to Rausch Creek in PA.

Anyhow, its really cramped when the whole family goes. I've always wanted a Land Rover and frankly, they're priced way better than Jeeps in the North East. I've also been focusing on 2004 Disco's with about 100K miles or so.

I've been reading the stickies in the forum as well as other forums to get as much info as possible. I've read about the serviceable axles and the 3 amigos etc. but of all the things I've read, the one that sounds the most ominous is the head gasket failures and engines needing to be replaced or slipped liners etc. I know that owners forums focus a lot on issues, but this sounds like the biggest issue, at least to me.

So let me start with this, if I find a car ( ~100K miles ) where its documented that the head gaskets were done ( assume properly ), should I be good for another 100K miles with regards to this ? Or if I buy one that hasn't had it done, but I get them replaced as "preventative" maintenance, will that pretty much take care of it for a while ?

Also, Is this an issue with an LR3. I know they're quite a bit more money but factoring in some of the maintenance, the difference is less, I think.

A good thing is that there seems to be quite a few Land Rover indy shops in CT, and one close to me seems to have a good rep. I think I would have them go over any prospective car.

Thanks Much
Oz

Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The lr3s do not suffer from head gasket problems. If the headgaskets are done right and arp head studs are used and the cooling system is properly maintained then it would not be unreasonable to expect another 100k from the headgaskets.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

If the Disco in question has been well cared for and all the documents are there to prove it, AND as long as you keep up with the maintenance then you will be one happy camper These are wonderful vehicles to have and they offer loads of fun on and off the road. If your looking to fill many seats then consider getting a 2004 Discovery SE7 or an HSE7 as they come with the 7 seater option.

The LR3 (Discovery 3) is another great choice if your interested in getting a Land Rover. You could find a low priced 2005 LR3 SE for around $10,000 give or take with all the basics on board, but if your looking for anything newer, or a top of the line trim package (HSE, Heavy Duty Package etc) then you can expect to pay anywhere between $15,000-$20,000. A stock LR3 does offer afew advantages in regards to off-road capability and operating on slippery roads and the vehicle is probably better insulated and more modern. But it also has afew quirks of its own. The tie roads and some other steering components seem to have a short lifespan and the air suspension is known for having issues. Occasional electrical issues and afew cosmetic issues such as exterior trim pieces falling off.

So take your time and continue to do alot of research before you buy. DOnt hesitate to ask more questions. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Winching

I have owned Jeeps and Land Rovers. Both are about the same far as maintenance/ease to work on. You can build both via the internet and hand tools in the garage lol. If you can work on a Jeep you can handle a D1/D2 all day. I am not familiar with the LR3s.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Oz,

Welcome over here too.

Dave
Eastern 4 Wheelers

Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

When people ask me about buying Discos I always tell them to factor in that extra $2000 for a head gasket job. I don't think thats a bad thing, It's just something you've gotta realize is gonna happen sooner or later. I love my Disco 2.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the replies and welcome guys.

I will take my time and keep checking out some until something feels right. I'm not in a hurry and actually enjoy the search too.

It sounds like a situation where buy in is relatively cheep but cost of ownership is on the high end.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, thanks much.

Oz

Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

take your time and try and find one with all the documentation, basically if you don't have documentation it hasn't been done. The more documentation you have the better you can plan your maintenance costs.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Winching

X2 take your time. The search/buy is almost more fun than owning the trucks. lol

Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I would think a disco would be way more comfortable to drive then a jeep my buddy had a tj 2003 or 04 and it wasn't a good ride specially on the highway. I'm not a car guy but this forum helps me do most maintenance on my 04 and that's all you can do maintain it and enjoy it if it breaks it breaks but it's a beast offroad and a lady on the road lol