Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious about TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just curious about TC

I am curious about how the traction control works on a disco. I know there are a few ways TC works on different cars and I have never heard how it works on a disco. Does it send braking to the wheel that has lost traction or does it function differently? The reason I ask is because I did a little off roading in some mud (with the new tires!) and the TC got quite a work out. Anyways, I was with a jeep GC and he asked how my TC worked and I had no idea. So educate me!

Cameron

PS-The general grabbers where flawless yesterday, I am so glad I have them now!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5713/B47399D6820A48ECB6E976BAB733A700.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Just curious about TC

Yes it works by applying the brakes to the wheel that spins. A spinning wheel has no traction and therefore is a waste of power and is useless.
Granted there are times when you want to spin the wheels and you can turn your TC off, read the owners manual and it will tell you how.
Subaru's use viscous clutch's and braking to transfer power, LR just use's braking because there are no clutches.
Glad that you had fun.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Granted there are times when you want to spin the wheels and you can turn your TC off, read the owners manual and it will tell you how.
Im un aware of any way to turn off the TC on a D2

Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just searching the web for this exact information. How do you turn off the TC on a 2003 Disco?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

exactly.............you cant turn it off

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
TReK

Yeah, there is no way to trun it off on a DII, I cant speak for a DI though. The only way to do it on a DII is by disconnecting the hose that goes to the TC, which I dont recommend because after doing some research I found everyone who did that did not like it. What most have found, the TC is good in sandy conditions (even though some beleive differently) and it is even better in muddy conditions. Another thing I saw people say alot was if you really HAVE to sping the wheels, the TC wont recognise it if you floor itand all wheels are spinning at the same speed, which makes sense. The only reason I could think of spinning the wheels is to clear the treads, but thats it, I wont be doing any burnouts in a disco! Other than that is sounds like you are better having having the TC on, I know it has come in handy for me and now that I know how it functions I understand it much better.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

You can turn off the ETC on any D2 that has a CDL.
The way to do it is ti engage the CDL, start the engine, drive it a little. If you want to then turn off the ETC, leave the CDL engaged, turn off your engine and restart. At that point, your trio has been turned on, you have no ABS,ETC or HDC.
When you want to turn it back on, simply disengage the CDL, restart your engine, your trio is no off and you are back up and running.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 AM
TReK

Hmmm very interesting Mike. I dont have CDL (yet) so i wont be doing that. But is there any advantage to turning it off? Is there ever a time when you just dont need it and it is actually a henderance?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

You can turn off the ETC on any D2 that has a CDL.
The way to do it is ti engage the CDL, start the engine, drive it a little. If you want to then turn off the ETC, leave the CDL engaged, turn off your engine and restart. At that point, your trio has been turned on, you have no ABS,ETC or HDC.
When you want to turn it back on, simply disengage the CDL, restart your engine, your trio is no off and you are back up and running.
Mike, thatsonly partlycorrect, yes it does display the 3 amigos if you start with the CDL in, How ever that is only the case in a D2 which has a Retro fitted CDL like mine (unless you disconnect it at the SLABS-ECU) like I have. A D2 with a factory fitted CDL will not do this.

Also, even in a retro fitted CDL vehicle, and you start with the CDL engaged and you have not disconnected from the SLABS-ECU, although the 3 amigo's are lit, its only the TC that is disabled, the ABS and HDC are still functioning, how ever at degraded performance levels

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I stand corrected, yes only on retro fitted CDL set ups.
Mine does, however turn off all 3, which is why I like it. There is nothing worse then trying to back down a steep, off camber, muddy, slippery trail when your ABS is on. When I turn mine off, I can back down with out going off the trail sideways.

Quick Reply: Just curious about TC