Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my rover, weekend project plus pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default just got my rover, weekend project plus pics

Got the rover yesterday, 1998 100,000 on it every option except rear AC and jump seats. This did not run right at all when I bought it, I was able to jump it and limp it around but it'd die pretty fast. I got it for 1/4th the asking price since the guy said it was mint and was pretty much lying through his teeth.

Issues:
-It wouldn’t run for more than 10 min before dying
-Someone keyed it, the whole thing was repainted, but never sanded or polished, so it was the worst orange peel ever, not a reflective paint job looked like complete CRAP. Seller said on the phone “Perfect exterior.”
-The only door that worked was the driver’s side, none of the other doors worked.
-It idled at 3000RPM
-Huge exhaust leak
-None of the windows worked
-Broken rear view mirror plus broken passenger side mirror
-The interior looked like a bomb went off in it, looked like dust from the paint work, that and tons of dirt everywhere, looked like something that was sitting in a junk yard. He said “Perfect interior”

Ok so I got it home and started working on it… Alternator was throwing voltage so I replaced the battery, started up ok after that, replaced about 3 blown fuses, that got the windows working and the radio asking for a code.

Walked around the car with a coat hanger popping all the doors open, pulled all the door panels off greases all the joints, pulled the rear hatch panel off, greased all the joints and that’s all working now. Not only did I need a hanger to get the doors open, I needed to bash them to get them free.

Still idled at 3000 RPM, this took about 3 5 hours to figure out since I asked a LR tec to look at it and he said, "check every single sensor and clean them, or bring it here but it's going to cost you several hundred" I started just by messing with the throttle cable and cruise control, messed with the idle setting after drilling the cap off, check and cleaned all the sensors I could find... I came to notice out of the corner of my eye the last hack who worked on this car bent the throttle arm bump stop because the TB hex bump stop to adjust idle was turned so far down, and was so crud covered you couldn’t get at it. So I cleaned the hex up, moved it up, Used a tortch to bend the hacked stopper back, then just used some JB weld on the stress cracks. So I fixed that and idle returned to normal.

Car was running like complete crap, and still dying, replaced all the vacuum hoses, most of them were rotted with holes or just not even connected.

Now it’s idling and running fine, needs plugs air filter, wires, and an oil change tomorrow though.

Has a huge exhaust leak, which I’ll plug with the welder tomorrow.

I ordered new mirrors and misc small parts that need to be replaced.

Then I sanded the whole truck, 1500-2000 then started polishing.. did everything except for the hood and roof

Shampoo and vacuumed the interior, conditioned everything, interior looks new believe it or not, no rips in the carpet or leather, just needed a steam cleaning and leather treatment

Here are some pics, by this time next week it’ll be in close to mint condition again I think.. I need to take the front brush guard off, sand blast it, and have it powder coated since it looked like the previous owner let it rust.

Interior all cleaned up.

All polished up without wax

Example of the new finish

Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just got my rover, weekend project plus pics

dude, how did you know how to do all that? great work. if my '02 gives me any problems, ill be e-mailing you!!! your rover looks great!!

Old 07-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: just got my rover, weekend project plus pics

ORIGINAL: rhino

dude, how did you know how to do all that? great work. if my '02 gives me any problems, ill be e-mailing you!!! your rover looks great!!
I honestly don't know, working on cars just makes sense to me.

On edit, thanks by the way, and don't hesitate to email me about anything, I don't know a great deal about these suv's yet, mustangs and fords are my forte... although an 02 disco is a ford isn't it? haha.