Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got rear ended! see the damage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just got rear ended! see the damage!

I was following 4 school buses through the left turn lane at a busy intersection but was keeping a good distance as I could not see the taffic light. Suddenly the last bus (the one in front of me) hit the brakes about 1/2 way into the intersection. I hit my brakes (the new EBC green ones) and stopped immediatly. Sadly the teenager behind me did not. I think we were doing10-15 mph when we all stopped but as you can see my Disco held up pretty well. Sadly the young driver's VW Golf did not. Now I just need to figure out how to get his insurance to just pay me the price for a replacement bumper but not get the LR stock one but a decent aftermarket one. I'd be more then willing to make up the difference and do the install!

Attached Thumbnails Just got rear ended! see the damage!-img_0079.jpg   Just got rear ended! see the damage!-img_0077.jpg   Just got rear ended! see the damage!-img_0078.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, that golf must of went way underneath your rover. Are you lifted any or do golfs just site that low? hope the driver was ok.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you can make a deal with him and/or his parents. Tell them what's going on, and maybe they'll be willing to just cut you a check for the price of an aftermarket bumper. They won't have to report it to the insurance company, and you'll get an aftermarket bumper.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all you need to do is get a quote for the damage and forward it to the insurance company. The insurance company should cut you a check. It is up to you whether you have it fixed. Also you need to get the step replaced (or at least get the replacement value reimbursed).

Reason I think it works like this is that my wife backed into a catering truck with my Volvo S80 (2007 V8 AWD, yeah!). The catering truck was cut a check for $1000 by my insurance, and they never got it repaired. I see that truck about once a week wth the same bent bumper... The damage on my Volvo was close to $9k... TG for insurance!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Get an estimate from a local body shop using all new Rover parts and then submit the estimate. The Dad won't pay you on the side cause it won't benefit him to do so, so just get a check from his insurance company made out to you.
By the way, is your neck getting stiff yet, can youy spell "Whip Lash"!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take that damn step off the back of the rover. If it wasn't on you would have had ZERO damage..

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Get an estimate from a local body shop using all new Rover parts and then submit the estimate. The Dad won't pay you on the side cause it won't benefit him to do so, so just get a check from his insurance company made out to you.
By the way, is your neck getting stiff yet, can youy spell "Whip Lash"!!!!!!

It might benefit the family at fault to write him a check if the insurance rate will rise after the claim... it all depends on their financial situation.

Some families drive VW golfs like that and live paycheck to paycheck with only about $600 at the bank at one time. They may not have a choice but let the insurance pay him.

Either way, glad no was hurt.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Play by the book, call your agent and let them cut you a check, cash said check and then buy your bumper.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or buy a welding machine and some plate and start building bumpers...

you gotta think entrepreneurially these days...

yeah i think i just made that word up...

Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that your Disco is at least 5 years old, most insurance companies are going to only use prices for recycled or aftermarket parts. They will also include in the labor to replace those parts, so if you are doing the work you will be able to pocket the labor. Just tell the insurance company to write you the check and you will find a place to have it repaired. Then with the cost of the parts and labor you can do the work and you come out okay.

If the driver is a teenager then it would behoove the dad to write you a check and avoid the min. 15% rate increase if they file a claim. If the police were called and they filled out a report then the accident will go on her driving record and the insurance company will find out about it.

If you PM your VIN and the parts that need replacing I can write an estimate for you in Mitchell and email it to you so that you have some information to compare with their insurance companies numbers.

Quick Reply: Just got rear ended! see the damage!