Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just looked at this 2000 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just looked at this 2000 Disco

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II
Hey guys.....looking for your opinions on this Disco I just checked out.

Its essentially a one owner car (the second owner is selling it after having it for 2 months, says it will be too expensive to maintain, cant afford the gas...he seems like a nice college kid, knowlegable about Land Rovers), in very nice shape, lots of recent work (but no documentation unfortunately...work done by the 1st owner).

No rust, everything works, new brakes and tires, ran cool, no obvius leaks.

I offered him $4k, he wants $4500.

What do you think???

Thanks!

Andy

Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds very suspicious to me. I bet it has some issues and he is trying to dump it on somebody else.

go to a auto parts store and pull trouble codes..drive it for a LONG test drive..get on a gravel road and make the traction control work.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does he have receipts for all the work done?
i wouldn't want to commute in my rover 80 miles a day, it'd cost a fortune. it looks pretty clean from the pics. if it runs and drives great and he has receipts for work done it seems pretty good to me.
IMHO, no receipts = no work was done.
jon

Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I would suggest you have a Rover mechanic do a pre-purchase purchase before going any further and coming of the East coast, really check it for rust.
Plan on the expense of a new front drive shaft and a major service if it hasn't been done.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

[QUOTE=NiteTrain;278507]sounds very suspicious to me. I bet it has some issues and he is trying to dump it on somebody else.

go to a auto parts store and pull trouble codes..drive it for a LONG test drive..get on a gravel road and make the traction control work.[/QUOTE

That's my suspicion. He bought it, found a major issue, and now is trying to dump it.

He took my offer of $4k, I told him I want a pre-purchase inspection...

Anybody know a place in the Philly area for a Land Rover pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
TReK

I forgot to add...even if the 'check engine light' is not on you need to STILL check for trouble codes...removing the bulb is a common trick people use. My guess is it needs O2 sensors and he can not get it to pass emissions..but that's just my best guess.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok guys, so I had a pre-purchase inspection done today on the 2000 Disco. Its needs an O2 sensor, and is leaking a small amount of oil from the front and rear main seals.

I have replaced O2 sensors on other cars, has not been a big deal. Is it a big deal on a Disco?

I am more concerned about the main seal leaks.....I would expect them on a 130k mile car, but how big a deal is it on a Disco, and what is involved in fixing them if they worsen? Is it an engine out type of repair?

The owner is willing to drop the price a few hundred dollars (currnet asking price $4k).

What is the collective wisdom of the forum???

Thanks guys!

Andy

Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
TReK

o2 sensors are not cheap, there are 4 on the DIIs, and replacing main seals is going to be expensive unless you do the labor yourself. Personally I'd make him drop the asking price by about $800. Also, if the check engine light wasn't on with bad o2 sensors that proves somebody has removed the bulb..what else is he trying to cover up?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Sometimes, people just get in over their heads and realize that the Rovers are more expensive to operate than they can afford. You can check the check engine light when you turn the key to the on position. It should illuminate. When you start the the truck, the light should go out. Easy way to tell if the light is working. Good luck. Phil

2000 140k runnning great!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling

The check engine light was on when I test drove it.....the owner thought it was the gas cap. I don't think he is concealing anything. He even paid for the pre-purchase inspection.

Quick Reply: Just looked at this 2000 Disco