Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kevlar Goodyear MT/R's?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kevlar Goodyear MT/R's?????

I know it's a long shot, but anybody running the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's? I have been set on the Duratracs, but noticed the MT/R's while I was in Goodyear today....thanks dudes.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What sort of driving/wheeling will you be doing?
My money is on the Dura Trac's, I believe they are a better tire.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What sort of driving/wheeling will you be doing?
My money is on the Dura Trac's, I believe they are a better tire.
Well, my (Off-pavement) driving/wheeling is more geared towards exploration and back-country camping, mountain road driving, snow runs, etc,..nothing real aggressive like rock crawling just yet. But I hope to get into a little more aggressive stuff this summer as I have finally found a group of Rover folks to go out with and be able to more confidently push my Disco closer to it's limits.

I was thinking the Duratracs will be all if not more than I need, but those MT/R's are pretty sweet and the Goodyear folks said they will probably have a better on-road manners since they are directional and have the Kevlar insert.

(Right now I'm running the stock Michelin LTX's)

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 PM
TReK

you'd be wasting your cash on the MT/R's if you dont plan on lots and lots of aggressive off road use. being a mud tire they will wear more quickly on road then a Duratrac.

i have duratracs on my rig. best tire for multi purpose rigs on the market. i off road in snow,slush,ice all winter and have yet to have traction issues. at worst i have had to air down a bit.

on road they behave well and track well. not like a factory installed POS tire, but well for a fairly aggressive tire. not very noisy, but a very little hum.

and your gonna spend A LOT less on a set of DT's vs. MTR's

Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Well, my (Off-pavement) driving/wheeling is more geared towards exploration and back-country camping, mountain road driving, snow runs, etc,..nothing real aggressive like rock crawling just yet. But I hope to get into a little more aggressive stuff this summer as I have finally found a group of Rover folks to go out with and be able to more confidently push my Disco closer to it's limits.

I was thinking the Duratracs will be all if not more than I need, but those MT/R's are pretty sweet and the Goodyear folks said they will probably have a better on-road manners since they are directional and have the Kevlar insert.

(Right now I'm running the stock Michelin LTX's)

they are trying to oversell you big time!!!

i went to buy my DT's at a goodyear shop near me and i left their angry that they kept trying to oversell me on tires and trying to upsell me on what i did not want. finally got a quote for a set of DT's at $220 per tire. went to discount tire in totem lake and paid $198 per mounted and balanced. and they sold me exactly what i wanted. not what they wanted to sell me

Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
TReK

There is a Goodyear shop next door to my office and they give me a "neighbor" discount so I'm not too concerned about oversell, but in the end it's their in business to make money. I just asked for a quote on the MT/R's to get the highest estimate possible so that I can bring it to my wife to plug into the budget and not get in trouble when I slap a grand + on the credit card

I think I'll stick with my original plan and go with the Duratracs. Thanks for the input and your reviews in other threads.

On a side note : My OME springs and Sport Shocks came in today, I am so effing excited! Shipped ALL the way from ARB in Renton, to my house in Renton

Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven both tires. Based on what you want to do with your truck, I think you will be happier with the DT's. I have them on my rover now, and love the way the DT's can handle all I throw at them. The wife also doesn't object to the DT's, but she hated the MT/R's... Not sure if this matters for you, though.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
There is a Goodyear shop next door to my office and they give me a "neighbor" discount so I'm not too concerned about oversell, but in the end it's their in business to make money. I just asked for a quote on the MT/R's to get the highest estimate possible so that I can bring it to my wife to plug into the budget and not get in trouble when I slap a grand + on the credit card

I think I'll stick with my original plan and go with the Duratracs. Thanks for the input and your reviews in other threads.

On a side note : My OME springs and Sport Shocks came in today, I am so effing excited! Shipped ALL the way from ARB in Renton, to my house in Renton

weekend project!!!!

my OME steering stabilizer came in today. that'll give me something to do in the morning for 10min haha

Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ringerso
I have driven both tires. Based on what you want to do with your truck, I think you will be happier with the DT's. I have them on my rover now, and love the way the DT's can handle all I throw at them. The wife also doesn't object to the DT's, but she hated the MT/R's... Not sure if this matters for you, though.
^This^ is a VERY important (if not the most important) aspect of my tire decision, she drives it daily to her vanpool up to work. THANK YOU for your input Going with the DT's...now if that silly tax return would just hurry up

Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
weekend project!!!!

my OME steering stabilizer came in today. that'll give me something to do in the morning for 10min haha
Man I wish! Besides it being ball$ cold it was a great weekend to do some vehicle work in the greater Seattle area!....got the oil changed, but I'm not quite ready to slap on the springs/shocks just yet. I pulled them out of the big shipping box and stared at them for a while with a big dumb smile on my face though

I bought a TF steering stabilizer 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't come, L8 said they are running low on all Terrafirma stock so the shipping is backed up a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: Kevlar Goodyear MT/R's?????