Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key stuck in, can I just leave it in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in, can I just leave it in?

The key won't come out every time. I did do a search and it seems it might be the switch letting it know it is in park. And it is intermittent.

Question is can I just leave the truck unlocked and leave the key in? Or will the security system lock me out?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No it will not lock you out.

Next time it happens try pushing the gear shift farther into park.
Hit it with the palm of your hand towards park and see if the key comes out.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Mudding

Thanks, just getting it ready for winter duty. I was just leaving the door open when the key sticks in but that runs the battery down.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

You can always take your wife's key and lock the door with the key in the ignition.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Mudding

Put your Transmission in Neutral. Shift your TC into neutral, then hard back into High. Then shift the transmission back to park. Try the key...

Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Fireman
Put your Transmission in Neutral. Shift your TC into neutral, then hard back into High. Then shift the transmission back to park. Try the key...
This does indeed release the key but after a few times driving the key again won't come out.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Mudding

Do you get an audible warning or warning lights? I think what is happening is the truck 'thinks' it is out of gear (i.e. in neutral). When in neutral, the truck will not allow you to remove the key. It is probably your transfer case interlock solenoid on the top of the transfer case. Read the following...

Transfer box interlock solenoid - Automatic gearbox vehicles
An interlock solenoid is fitted for North America and Japan. The solenoid is located on the top of the transfer box main casing on vehicles up to 03 model year or on the selector lever assembly on vehicles from 03 model year. The solenoid is connected to the transfer box relay which, in turn, is controlled by the IDM. The purpose of the solenoid is to prevent neutral being selected on the transfer box when the ignition key is removed, thereby locking the box in either high or low ratio.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

I saw a thread the other day on here where a guy disasembled his lock clyinder and repaired it for this problem. Had lots of pictures and was pretty detailed.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by novadisco2
I saw a thread the other day on here where a guy disasembled his lock clyinder and repaired it for this problem. Had lots of pictures and was pretty detailed.
That is now a sticky in both tech sections. (DI & DII)

Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by novadisco2

It does come out if I put the car in neutral and move the gear selector to neutral then hard back to high. So seems like not the lock cylinder but a switch not noticing PARK. Does this make sense? Anyone know how to get at the switch?

Quick Reply: Key stuck in, can I just leave it in?