Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 07:14 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition

I got a duplicate key made and it turns out not to be a good copy... I'm pretty sure this is the only issue...

It will not push in to turn to the lock position where the wheel locks and you can remove the key.

I had to unhook the battery and leave the key in the car, after locking it with the fob of course.

Any hints on getting this key out?

Old 04-24-2022, 09:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

This happened to me on the first evening of a 9-day family trip from Charlotte to Boston in August '05. That was fun. Luckily it was not the fob key that was in the ignition, and I was still able to lock the truck using the fob. The problem was the XYZ switch, also known as the neutral safety switch or selector position switch.

The BCU will not allow the key to be removed unless the gear selector is in Park. The XYZ switch must be working correctly and in the correct position to signal the BCU that the transmission is in Park. The problem may be that the XYZ switch is out of adjustment, or that it has failed and needs to be repaired or replaced.

To check the XYZ switch, the first step is to check the LCD PRND321 display in the instrument cluster and the red LEDs on the shifter bezel. Both are controlled by the BCU, which is getting its information from the XYZ switch. The next step is to try adjusting the XYZ switch to see if you can get the LCD display and the LEDs to illuminate correctly. There is information in the RAVE and elsewhere online about how to adjust the XYX switch. If that doesn't solve the problem, the XYZ switch needs to be disassembled and cleaned/repaired, or replaced. Again, there is a lot of info online about rehabbing the XYZ switch. New replacements are now stupid-expensive, but I've read recently that rehabbed switches are available on eBay and elsewhere online.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how this works out for you.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:35 AM
TReK

The XYZ switch was working just fine with the fob key moments before I tried the copy key.

I think it is the key itself not pushing in all the way to switch to off.

I think I'll be calling a mobile locksmith.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Instead of trying to push the key in farther, try gently turning it as you pull the key out very slowly, millimeter by millimeter.

That's what I have to do to get at least one of my keys to work to start the truck. I've never had the problem trying to turn the key to position 0 and remove it.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:28 PM
TReK

I ended up paying a mobile locksmith to do it... $150 but worth it as I am recovering from a surgery and have no ability to try all the this myself at the moment. He got it done with a rubber tipped vice grip and his "magic touch."

All good now. Fob works as normal and I'll be getting a better spare made ASAP.

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Check the key you have as you might just need to knock off some sharp edges with a small file. I find that when I get spares made I generally do this as the locks on my house are ancient and don't like fresh cut keys...

Old 04-27-2022, 05:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Having just bought an 04 Disco that came with only one key this thread makes me worry, not that owning a Rover doesn't have enough to worry about. I think instead of having a key made at say my local big box hardware store I will have it made at/by a dedicated locksmith shop just in case I have the same issue. Then if I have any issues at least I am at the locksmith already and would be able to fix the issue without the additional cost of having to call a mobile locksmith.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:51 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Having just bought an 04 Disco that came with only one key this thread makes me worry, not that owning a Rover doesn't have enough to worry about. I think instead of having a key made at say my local big box hardware store I will have it made at/by a dedicated locksmith shop just in case I have the same issue. Then if I have any issues at least I am at the locksmith already and would be able to fix the issue without the additional cost of having to call a mobile locksmith.
FWIW I've never had a problem with any of the several hardware store-cut keys I have for my DII.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:37 AM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I think I had 3 keys cut to get one that works reasonably.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
I think I had 3 keys cut to get one that works reasonably.
Same.