Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise

Dear God!! , please help. I have Disco 2 2002 with 112,000 miles . It was running smooth until 2 months ago when broke one valve... Please see picture. Ok so valve was replaced by certified local LR mechanic shop. 300 miles later the camshaft broke in two pieces... please see 2nd picture.. so. Back to shop and replaced with new one. 100 miles later rocker arm breaks. Replaced with new one. 100 miles later had to replace coil and spark wires. Still have knocking noise coming from top of engine. Back to shop and replaced 2 lifters, changed oil. I went to check up on mechanic today and he tells me knocking has not gone away. At this point i am really frustrated and financially broke! Can somebody help with shining light on this..

Attached Thumbnails Knocking noise-image.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
7th Gear
Default Here is the broken camshaft pic

Camshaft picture

Attached Thumbnails Knocking noise-image.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!!! Somethings not right here. For all those Valve Train items to be breaking like that some unusual force is being applied. Has anyone looked at your Timing Chain and gears. That is what I would look at to see if any damage is present ie. missing teath, Chain stretch.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Dat varnish....

The color of the varnish on that rocker shaft assembly tells quite the tale with regards to the frequency of oil changes on that engine.

Or lack thereof.

My guess is that your timing chain has stretched enough to allow for valve collisions and who knows what else, which is why you're breaking internal parts like the camshaft and the rocker shafts.

I would pull the front cover and inspect the timing chain. I would imagine that it has quite a bit of stretch, possibly enough stretch that it's jumped a tooth. If it does, replace it.

I see you're in PR, if finding an OEM chain proves to be a bit of a challenge, replace the chain (and only the chain, not the sprockets) with the same from a 1962 Buick Skylark with the 215ci V8. If you can get OEM parts, get a chain and new sprockets.

Next, inspect the valves in both heads for evidence of piston collisions. If you see substantial evidence of such across multiple valves, I would replace both of the heads as a whole, rather than replace the valves. As for the pistons, substantial pitting of the piston face will create a hot spot which can contribute to detonation. If a piston looks really marred, replace it.

Good luck with it all, let us know how it goes.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but you bought a truck that had very poor maintenance performed on it.
Follow the above advice but from the looks of things you will probably be putting quite a bit of time and money into your truck. Over and over again, also with that poor maintenance you should be concerned to as whether or not the front drive shaft has been rebuilt and if not consider replacing it to prevent drive train damage and undercarriage damage from a failed front prop shaft.

Good luck on your next used purchase please consider a pre purchase inspection from a creditable Indy shop or dealership.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafy
Camshaft picture
Not a Camshaft rather a Rocker Arm Shaft.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Mudding

In for a penny, In for a pound..
When that first valve broke, It was a warning. You should have went in and rebuilt the entire engine at that point...Every subsequent failure was a result of this...

Of course you kind of have to know this..

The timing chain was the real point of failure here...A timing set and a top overhaul might be ok if there's no piston damage and the sleeves look good..

John

Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That appears to be the rocker arm from the passenger side of motor? Also your push rods are probably bent and could be causing you knocking noise if you listen to your motor sometimes you can tell where you noises are coming from. Same side as broken rocker arm?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JPSpen
In for a penny, In for a pound..
When that first valve broke, It was a warning. You should have went in and rebuilt the entire engine at that point...Every subsequent failure was a result of this...

Of course you kind of have to know this..

The timing chain was the real point of failure here...A timing set and a top overhaul might be ok if there's no piston damage and the sleeves look good..

John
I can't really fault the OP, if he's got the truck at a shop, he's probably not really proficient in engine building.

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
That appears to be the rocker arm from the passenger side of motor? Also your push rods are probably bent and could be causing you knocking noise if you listen to your motor sometimes you can tell where you noises are coming from. Same side as broken rocker arm?
Totally forgot about the pushrods. I would replace all 16, they can be found relatively cheap.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
7th Gear

Yes, passenger side is correct. And yes rocker arm shaft is correct.. My mistake. When rocker arm shaft broke i think this might have cracked the rocker arm and weakened it, therefore it broke shortly after reassembly. Also at this stage something else must have been damaged, my mechanic told me today he had put two new lifters thinking he could correct the knocking noise .He however has not mentioned the push rods, and has not mentioned timing chain either but is something i will tell him to check. My mechanics shop specializes in only LR & RR i would dare to say they are the best in the island and i am pretty confident in them. I would not like to think they have done a half *** job but Im going back tomorrow and getting more info. I"ll keep you guys posted and thank you for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise