Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladder swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ladder swap questions

I have the OEM ladder in the 00, and I would like to swap it onto the 04. Besides liking the look, it is handy for loading a kayak, washing the truck and just opening and closing the gate. From what I see, it looks like it attaches by two screws on the top and two just above the license plate.
Does anyone know if it is as simple as taking it off, drilling pilot holes and putting it on with the screws that are used? I wasn't sure if there is some type of installation kit or not, like an anchor of sorts that goes behind the ladder for the screws to lock into. I'm not thrilled in general bout drilling into a perfectly good truck, but of it is easy enough I would like to swap it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Depends, mine is a Rover Racks ladder, they included jack screws or something like that, wish I would have done what everyone else does, self tapping metal screws.
Put the ladder where it needs to be, screw in the screws.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the BajaRacks Disco Ladder. No holes needed.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put my new Atlantic British ladder on with sheet metal screws, and a dab of silcone on the screw to seal up around the hole as I snugged it up. That was pretty much it. Mine came with a set of riv-nuts, but I read others install notes, and it seemed like the sheet metal screws were doing the job. I went with stainless steel for maybe a little added strength and to minimize any rust that may tend to form. I think I used #10 screws, but cannot recall exactly.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much for a new aftermarket ladder? How much for a used original one?

Anyone have one you can sell me?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I just went to the Baja Racks site and couldn't find the ladder. Maybe they discontinued it, I don't know. It was a very easy instal. The ladder laps over the top and clamps to the bottom of the door. It's great ladder and no holes to drill.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds good. I will look at the screws on the old one and see if I need new ones. Looks like a quick and easy project, but have to take it off and repaint it now. For those who bought new ones, are they shiny or more of a flat/matte black? The new rig is black, so I don't know if I should just match the paint or go toned down a bit.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling

I bought my ladder several years ago. Used the screws that came with it. It was semi shiny. It was an OEM part but the paint peeled off after a few years. I had it powder coated it still looks like it did the day I put it back on after powder coating. It is very shiny and looks good. Going to do the brush bar on my 99 it's beginning to get rusty.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by slabrat
I bought my ladder several years ago. Used the screws that came with it. It was semi shiny. It was an OEM part but the paint peeled off after a few years. I had it powder coated it still looks like it did the day I put it back on after powder coating. It is very shiny and looks good. Going to do the brush bar on my 99 it's beginning to get rusty.
Mine is semi-shiny too. I have been thinking about maybe doing the truck bedliner spray. Tougher and more traction. Was thinking that just for the last one after slipping on it while tying down the Christmas tree this past year! Just not sure how it would look.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Bedliner spray

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Mine is semi-shiny too. I have been thinking about maybe doing the truck bedliner spray. Tougher and more traction. Was thinking that just for the last one after slipping on it while tying down the Christmas tree this past year! Just not sure how it would look.

Please let me know how the bed-liner spray does. I am thinking I may use that on my fender "Tupperware" pieces and door handles. And I may even save some coin by using it on the brush bar instead of powdercoat.

Quick Reply: Ladder swap questions