Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Discovery 2 Heated windscreen and Heated seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Land Rover Discovery 2 Heated windscreen and Heated seat

Hi, I just bought a Land Rover Discovery 2 53 plate td5 about 4weeks ago, My front heated windscreen doesn`t work but when I switch it on the light on the switch stays on but nothing happens, There is no cracks in the screen or stone chips, The power cable is still attached to the drivers side of the screen, Also the drivers seat doesn`t heat up either, are these on the same fuse ?, The switch for the seat lights up and stays on but I get no heat, The passenger side seat heats up, I have checked the wiring at the switches and they seam ok and appear to work ok as they stay lit, my rear screen didn`t work but I found it had a broken tab and I repaired that and now it works ok, I thought at first the rear and front screen where connected but one works while the other doesn`t, I have checked the fuses and they all seem ok, Does anyone have any Ideas what could be wrong as I have checked everything I can think of and searched the internet for answers to both these problems but can`t find a solution, Any help in simple terms would be appreciated, Thank you

Old 02-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help with the windscreen... As far as the drivers seat heat, sounds to me like you have a bad heating element. I'm going through the same issue right now!

The following users liked this post:
weeped (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
4wd Low

I was thinking it would be the seat element but was hoping it would be a simple fix as I think it`s strange that both heated screen and seat don`t work for no apparent reason

Old 02-11-2016, 04:47 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The seat heat and windscreen are not related circuits and should both work independent of the other not working.

Changing out the seat heater element is a tedious but do-able task. Before tackling that make sure the connectors in the back of the seat are both connected. The RAVE has a lot of detail about the seat squab and how to remove it. involves lots of hog rings and needle nose pliers. Once the lower seat squab is out of the way changing the element takes no time at all.

Pro tip: before removing the lower seat squab, or the seat and power if you go that route, use the electric motors to move the seat to the full rear and full reclined positions.

Check your windscreen to make sure it is actually a heated model. little hair like wires will be in a grid about 1/8th inch apart across the entire windscreen. Many people don't pay the extra money to replace the heated unit, they go cheap and buy a non heated version. Outside that, they do fail, it only takes one broken wire.

Check your owners manual or RAVE for related fuse locations.

Last edited by Dave03S; 02-11-2016 at 04:53 PM.
weeped (02-12-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Also make sure you have the fuse in your fuse box under the hood near the battery for the heated windshield. Mine didn't so I bought one for $15 on ebay. My Indy mechanic turned the windshield on for me with his Hawkeye. He had to program it to make it work. As for the seats I'm in the same boat, passenger side works, driver's side does not. My only confusion is that the previous owner of my truck never had heated seat switches installed. So technically the heating elements were never used. So why doesn't the drivers side element work??? Just from wear and tear of getting in and out of the truck???

weeped (02-12-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Yes, they are very thin fragile wires. They can and do break from wear and tear.

You can fix them by finding the broken wire in the element and doing a repair by solder.

I did that once and it worked for a short while.

weeped (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for your help Dave, I was hoping the seat would be an easy fix as I'm not sure how to change the element or where to start but I will have a look using the information you have given me, Thanks. As for the windscreen it is definitely a heated screen as I can see the wires in it when I look closely, Everything appears fine with all the connections to the screen but it just won't work, Thanks for your help

Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Relay 8 - Heated Front Screen (HFS) in eng fuse box controls pwr. May want to check that out.

weeped (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Each side of the screen is separate, in mine one side (driver's - yeah!) works and the other doesn't. If it's both sides are out at once and you're lucky its a fuse or the relay.
I couldn't figure out mine didn't work until I removed the cowl at the bottom of the windscreen, then I could see the tab had snapped right at the glass. Half heated screen for me now forever I'm afraid.

weeped (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 PM
4wd Low

Fallstaff, I don`t know if the front screen is the same as the rear screen but on mine the tab had snapped off the rear screen and I bought Permatex 21351 electrically conductive rear window defogger tab adhesive repair from amazon and it worked, It`s so easy to use and 2 weeks later it`s still working

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery 2 Heated windscreen and Heated seat