Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leakey rear main seal, or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

hey charlie,

I just noticed in the original post you said you didn't use any gasket maker. Does that mean you didn't put any RTV in the 4 locations the RAVE says to?

Oil pan gasket RAVE.pdf

I used RTV only in the few places the RAVE tells you to and I have the same type of leak. I am all most positive it is the oil pan gasket leaking and dripping back down to the bell housing inspection hole. I've already bought a new pan gasket and when I install it this time I am using RTV all the way around.

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-20-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
hey charlie,

I just noticed in the original post you said you didn't use any gasket maker. Does that mean you didn't put any RTV in the 4 locations the RAVE says to?

Attachment 22719

I used RTV only in the few places the RAVE tells you to and I have the same type of leak. I am all most positive it is the oil pan gasket leaking and dripping back down to the bell housing inspection hole. I've already bought a new pan gasket and when I install it this time I am using RTV all the way around.
I have a spare oil pan gasket too, if it hasn't gotten ruined in the garage. Next time I change the oil I'm going to give it a try but, alas, I didn't use any RTV. I will this time and let you know how it works out.

I also noticed a small leak from the housing that holds the oil filter. Does anyone know the name of that little doohickey? I'll do both at the same time.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I have a spare oil pan gasket too, if it hasn't gotten ruined in the garage. Next time I change the oil I'm going to give it a try but, alas, I didn't use any RTV. I will this time and let you know how it works out.

I also noticed a small leak from the housing that holds the oil filter. Does anyone know the name of that little doohickey? I'll do both at the same time.
I think you can probably breath a small sigh of relief since your leak is more than likely your oil pan gasket. Not using RTV in at least the 4 locations the RAVE shows it's amazing you didn't have a larger leak.

The oil filter connects to the front cover. Is that what you are talking about? Is it leaking from where the oil filter mates or up from the crankshaft oil seal?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I think you can probably breath a small sigh of relief since your leak is more than likely your oil pan gasket. Not using RTV in at least the 4 locations the RAVE shows it's amazing you didn't have a larger leak.

The oil filter connects to the front cover. Is that what you are talking about? Is it leaking from where the oil filter mates or up from the crankshaft oil seal?
Right. The gasket between the part that the filter threads to and the front cover.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think I found the seal on roversnorth and the better news, it's a cheap fix. $11

O RING OIL FILTER ADAPTR DISCOVERY II V-8, RNS580, ERR7308 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Part number 8 in the diagram:
Discovery II Engine Oil Pump - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I used ultra black rtv in the 4 locations and a light spear all the way around. I went light all the way around since too much will make the gasket try to slide out of place when tightening and also you don't want alot of beads of rtv to squeeze into the inside. I think it's best to let the rtv sit for a few before tightening.
I also replaced both #8 and #14 orings. Don't know if #14 was necessary but did it anyway while I was there.
So far so good.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
I used ultra black rtv in the 4 locations and a light spear all the way around. I went light all the way around since too much will make the gasket try to slide out of place when tightening and also you don't want alot of beads of rtv to squeeze into the inside. I think it's best to let the rtv sit for a few before tightening.
I also replaced both #8 and #14 orings. Don't know if #14 was necessary but did it anyway while I was there.
So far so good.
Thanks Jared and Rickety. When I put the engine in I was in a real time crunch. From now on I'll take my time. My least favorite job is the one I have to redo.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks Jared and Rickety. When I put the engine in I was in a real time crunch. From now on I'll take my time. My least favorite job is the one I have to redo.
I hear ya! No fun the first time and even less fun the second.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

rtv is your friend

Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Question for those of you who used white sheppard for the rear main seal. Do you use it just before an oil change?

Quick Reply: Leakey rear main seal, or is it?