Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking O-Ring from Heater Pipe at Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaking O-Ring from Heater Pipe at Intake Manifold

Hello All,

I have a 2003 Disco 2 4.6l and I am leaking coolant from the heater pipe at the intake manifold. For reference, this is the pipe I am talking about https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PEP000080G. I recently did a head gasket job and the kit I got did not come with the O-ring for the pipe so I thought I would test my luck without replacing it. I never had great luck.

It seems either the o-ring has failed and/or I did not tighten the retaining bolt down tight enough. I've recorded a video for your viewing pleasures: https://imgur.com/gallery/hx3QwXv. I need the O-ring part number ERR6434 but I don't feel like paying shipping and import for it to get here. Does anyone know the dimensions of this o-ring so I can attempt to source it locally? Or does it need to be an OEM part? From some initial googling it looks like it maybe 2cm in diameter.

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a leak there a couple of years ago and just reached my hand down there with some gasket-maker and slathered it around the pipe. Never leaked again, but...

...you've got to be certain that pipe is pushed all of the way down into the block first. There's one bolt on that leaking junction itself to hold it in, and there's a 2nd bolt on that pipe closer to the firewall that also holds the pipe down.

A cheap $15 smartphone borescope might be clever here.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

FYI: I'm pretty certain that the bolt at the junction on that pipe has to be removed... then the pipe pushed all of the way into the block... then the bolt inserted and tightened down at the junction, and only then can you tighten the rear bolt down on that pipe to insure that it stays held down.

Do those precise things and if it still leaks, any good sealer slathered around the entire permiter of that junction should stop a leak.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary!

Old 01-16-2020, 03:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

There are quite a few #ERR6434 o-rings being sold stateside on ebay.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRover (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Winching
Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I had asked the same question on a different forum for a Range Rover P38 with the same 4.6 engine.

Here is the response I got.

22mm dia 2.5mm thick viton o-ring

The following 2 users liked this post by keninnc:
CanadianRover (01-16-2020), JUKE179r (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by keninnc

22mm dia 2.5mm thick viton o-ring
Awesome, thanks! How did it work out for you? Did you add rtv?

Old 01-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

No need for RTV, just lube the O-ring before installing. I tore the O-ring on my first attempt with no lube. The second time with lube it went into place easily. And you can use anything you like for lube - motor oil, Vaseline, axle grease, Wesson, Mazola, butter, margarine - doesn't matter. It's only purpose is to ease installation.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Winching
Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I ended up ordering a new ERR6434. I just dipped it into some antifreeze before putting in on the pipe and re-inserting the pipe. No issues at all.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Overlanding
Default Update

I took off the belt and unbolted the alternator to get better access. When I took off the pipe this is what I found.

I replaced the gasket with one I found at Canadian Tire sized 11/16” ID x 7/8” OD x 3/32” thick. I couldn’t get the bolt to tighter up, at a certain point it just kept turning which is worrisome. I lathered the seems with a ton of RTV against others recommendations.

I refilled and bled the coolant. I am doing another quick fix at the moment and will post another update when I turn the ignition and the engine warms up.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Overlanding

Hey guys, so a bit of an update. I got around to pulling the pipe and replacing the o-ring. To do this I unhooked the battery, removed belt, and the alternator to get better access. When I pulled the pipe off and removed the o-ring this is what I found.
https://imgur.com/gallery/yX5NFn1

I replaced the o-ring with one found at Canadian Tire for $3 bucks with one sized 11/16" ID x 7/8" OD x 3/32" WALL. I pushed the pipe as far as I could in and bolted it up. I slathered a ton of RTV all around the edges for fun. So far it is seeming to hold *knock on wood.

Thanks for the help guys.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Leaking O-Ring from Heater Pipe at Intake Manifold