Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you think I can just pull the bad hose and get it matched and cut to fit from Napa?
Or do I need to order the replacement hose?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the hose or the o ring that is leaking? There is an o ring on the end of the hose, if that is shot then the connection will not seal.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey Bundu. Well i guess the o-ring or lack there of is the issue because it's not present on the hose. I just hope it's the o-ring and not the hose. It's hard to tell if there is something wrong with the hose because the end of it that connects the pump is coated in ps fluid. But I'm assuming not having an o-ring could cause that.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Not having an o ring would be an issue. I bought a plastic box with about 100 o rings for about $10 at Advanced, I think it was a metric set. I replaced a bunch of o rings from that box.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sweet so I should be able to find one that fits, per a box such as yours? I'll give it a go.
Are you sure that there is an o-ring on this hose? It's the hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QEH102790.cfm

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 03-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Maybe not... I'm thinking of the power steering box side, they have o rings.
I will have a quick look at that hose tonight. You could have a crack in the end of the hose, that's typically what happens and then they leak past the clamp.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Maybe not... I'm thinking of the power steering box side, they have o rings.
I will have a quick look at that hose tonight. You could have a crack in the end of the hose, that's typically what happens and then they leak past the clamp.
I was about to ask you what you were talking about. He is talking about a rubber hose and clamp:

that goes here:

Clamped rubber hoses don't need O rings, just decent ends. OP, if your hose is chewed up at the end (yes, you need to clean it to tell for sure), just cut the smalles amount off that you can and you may still have enough to re-attach it using a regular washer/worm clamp from the hardware store.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just took the hose off and it appears that the woven portion of the hose is worn out and leaking. Why is that woven portion necessary? If I could fashion a hose from autozone tubing, would it be just as good?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I just took the hose off and it appears that the woven portion of the hose is worn out and leaking. Why is that woven portion necessary? If I could fashion a hose from autozone tubing, would it be just as good?
What woven portion? Are you talking about the fibers inside of the hose (which make it strong) or the abrasion resistant sleeve on the outside of it (which will slip off)? The picture I posted above is the actual hose off of my truck...the abrasion resistant mesh is only down lower (not visible), but it doesn't hold any fluid/pressure. It's only there to keep it from being rubbed through.

As far as using autozone hose, I'm sure you could make it work, but there is a molded bend in the suction hose that might be prone to kinking with regular replacement hose. It's also tight in there and you are connecting between the body and the motor (which move independently) so you need to be sure you get it in a spot where it's not going to rub on things too badly or it won't last.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah well I tried the autozone hose. We got some springs on it to get it to bend correctly and it fit fine. However after refilling and trying to drive the truck it was still hard to steer. I checked the reservoir and the fluid was frothy. It was still leaking in the same spot as before. The clamp was on pretty tight so I don't think that was it. So I'm assuming I either have air in the system or I'm in for a new power steering pump.

Ideas?

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering fluid