Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Rear Sunroof + Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:00 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaky Rear Sunroof + Headliner

Hello all. My ‘01 has a saggy headliner and the rear sunroof hasn’t worked since I bought the truck, and today I noticed that it has begun leaking rain water from its controls over the 2nd row seats. I’ve read about the horror stories of trying to seal and fix, I don’t really mind having a shop take care of it. (I’m in Oregon so it constantly rains). I’m wondering if I should have them install a new headliner with the sunroof fix? Like a “might as well” situation? The front sunroof works and does not leak, but again, maybe it’s good if they do a once over with it as well to make sure it holds up for a while longer...thanks!

Old 01-10-2021, 11:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 433 Likes on 274 Posts

Where do you rate yourself on the car repair abilities scale?

The following users liked this post:
Nicholas Paesler (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

If you find a shop that understands DIscovery II's, you should be fine, but it will probably not be cheap.

I did my '00 Disco II by pulling out the headliner, and then pulling and resealing the sun roof units. Was not too complicated. Found a great article in Land Rover Monthly, April 2014, that details the complete process of pulling/resealing the sunroof units. Used an HVAC silicone sealer that is great for temperature extremes and longevity. Got seals and replacement drain units from Steve Parkers in the UK (https://www.steveparkers.com/product...esigned-parts/). Great kit and great instructions.

Headliner process is easily found in many threads in this forum. As both of my sunroofs mechanically worked, I only had to deal with much leakage and staining of the headliner. I reused the existing gaskets as they were in good shape, apparently having been replaced by a previous owner. Had some light fixtures to replace due to leakage/age, but those came from Rovers North.

Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by H Hill:
Chris59 (01-11-2021), Nicholas Paesler (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 02:42 PM
Drifting

I’m sorta mechanically able, but nervous about taking out headliner and further ruining...

Old 01-11-2021, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Hello! This is great info. I think if I were to do it myself, I need to study how to remove headliner. Though not mechanical, I worry about ruining it haha.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend pulling out the headliner yourself and then sealing the sunroof while you let a shop replace the fabric.
That way you don't have to worry about a random shop breaking clips/plastic pieces/only replacing half the screws in your headliner.
Installed some sound deadening - can't say it did a whole lot but was an easy hour job.

After sealing, I took the time to make sure it was good - pour water/drive through a carwash/leave it out in the rain - before I reinstalled the headliner.
I used the rtv mentioned above - worked just fine for me (I've read a few sources that recommend the black windshield urethane)

Also, if you do decide to go this route don't panic if any lights/remote locking/etc. stop working after you pull out the headliner.
I think it's easy blow a fuse or 2 in the process of removing the ceiling lights - atleast for me (maybe I should have disconnected the battery)

Nicholas Paesler (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Drifting

This sounds good, I think removing all plastic bits if I don’t have to drive the truck too much is a good way to go. Doesn’t seem complicated but just have to watch out for brittle bits.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Hello my fellow PNW’er- 3 inches of rain the last 2 days and counting...my leaky sunroofs don’t work so I just put a sheet of 3M automotive vinyl over them until I have time to fix the sunroof drains. I have a roof top tent so it’s not like I can see out of them anyway. Honestly I don’t miss having them at all, as they say, there is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix...

Nicholas Paesler (01-15-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi , when I did mine I watched these Video's from You tube, it makes the whole process easy,

The following 2 users liked this post by frostythor:
Nicholas Paesler (01-15-2021), robbygian (03-14-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

It takes less than 30 mins to take out the headliner if you watch videos posted above and read through the manual. Never let a shop that does not specialize in Land Rovers do the job. Mechanics who are not familiar with the car will use power tools and damage the screws and the plastic bits that secure the the top console. To do the job:
  1. Cover the roof so that it does not leak
  2. Watch the videos + read the tutorial
  3. Get Pozidriv screwdrivers #1, #2 (having both wont hurt on the disco)
  4. Get 2 new vizor clips, as you're likely to damage the ones that you have
  5. Proceed with removal _very_slowly. All screws are hand tight. When you take screws out, figure out how to label them so that you can easily put things together.
  6. Figure out where to place your headliner after it is out.

This is 30-40 min job the first time you do it. I have not restored sunroofs, but if you look hard enough, you can find new parts... May need to get them shipped from the UK. Will be $$$ but it depends on how far you want to go with the restoration.

You can get started here:

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...s/?startpos=48

Last edited by mr. choodles; 01-15-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Nicholas Paesler (01-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Leaky Rear Sunroof + Headliner