Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned more about the rover I may buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in south louisiana, I went and got the codes read at autozone today and was talking with the guys there and told them about the $4000 deal and they were amazed by how cheap. This is only an example of a couple of car guys not knowing anything about a land rover other than they are expensive when they are new and cool looking. They didn't believe me when I told them the BB value of these things so they looked themselves and didn't think it was so great of a deal any more. Oh and it has a 1590 code...I think that ws the number, it was the generic "3 amigos" are on code according to what I have read here.
I am mechanical, I'm sure I could change the head gasket myself, it would be a little intimidating but a nice challenge.
There is no internal damage to the transmission, I looked carefully at the crack today and even pullled off the jb weld. The crack is on the case above the oil pan and is between 1/4-1/2" long. There would be minimal seepage even if the jb weld wasn't there.
If I buy it I will make the lift better but I'm not going to buy a new lift but I will change the rear shocks. In some ways even with the problems it has I like that I know what I have and the history. I will try to get the price down, thank you all for the replies and advice, I greatly appreciate this forum and the good people here

Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

There isn't really a generic 3 amigos code - that's just the result of a number of codes that relate to components which the SLABS ECU needs in order to operate the three (ABS, SLS, TC) systems. Speed sensors and abs modulator issues are common problems, but I've also seen poor brake bleeding, brake components, and other things trigger the lights.

It sounds like you've convinced yourself to buy this truck at all costs (literally) since you haven't mentioned any other potential vehicles yet. As everyone else has said - I'm not AGAINST the Disco in question here, but it's very very overpriced especially considering its coming from a relative haha.

I drove 14 hours round-trip to get my disco, what's a few extra hours of driving when it comes to the safety and reliability of a vehicle you'll own for years?! I'll show you 10 cleaner discos for cheaper within that kind of driving range.

He's convinced he has something exotic, based on where he lives or otherwise... but it's simply not true. If you must have this vehicle, don't go above 3-3.5k period.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a 2000 dollar rover. I paid 4k for an 2001 that just needed an O2 sensor with 104k miles. As you drive these more maintenance is required and problems will be highlighted ultimately costing you more money.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today my brother-in-law will be picking up his disco (he lives 2.5 hrs away) yerterday I took the wife and kids out to show them the truck and even left my wife do some driving and they all loved it. Last night I was in it and the service engine soon light came on, I called my b i l and he told me that every once in a while the o2 light comes on and he changed it so he don't think it is a problem. aghhhhh even the truck don't want me to buy it. I'm gonna stick with my old ram truck a little longer, but I feel like I found out a little secret in the automotive world. These things are a very capable 4wd with very attractive interior to me with an out of this world depreciation value, the trade off is the maintenance and the gas milage but I don't drive much and I enjoy working on a vehicle.
Thank you guys

Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't find any in LA why don't you look in Texas? I have seen quite a few for sale down there and you'll not be paying double what the truck is worth.