Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leg room?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leg room?

Hi all this is my first post and has to do with the lack of leg room in the drivers seat of my fiancé’ LR's
The 97 XD I find you sit so high in the seat you have to bend your neck to see out of the windshield and your knees are almost touching the dash.
The 04 G4 seems to have more headroom but legs are still too close to the dash and steering wheel.

I am only 6' and find this very uncomfortable and unsafe, so is this a common problem with these?
Thanks

Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is this a problem? No. It's just the way it is.
You can remove the seat and turn the tracks that the seat slides on front to back and then put the seat back in.
Once you do that it wont go forward as far but will go back farther.

I know for 100% that this works with the manual seats but am only 70% it works with the power seats.

BUT its not a hard job if you want to play with it, if it does not work you could always put it back.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That's interesting considering I am 6' also and never had a problem driving my D1. It wasn't the most leg room but my knees definitely weren't in the dash and I never had to bend my head to look out the windshield. I'd check to make sure your seat adjuster switch is actually working to lower the seat.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have manual seats, but I am 6'5". No probs with leg room, but I do have to look at the reflection of stop lights in the hood to know when to go...

Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I have manual seats, but I am 6'5". No probs with leg room, but I do have to look at the reflection of stop lights in the hood to know when to go...
Now that you mention stop lights they were a little tough sometimes when I stopped too close but for normal driving down the road I never had a problem. I usually ended up watching the stop light at the side of the road if there was one rather than directly overhead in front of me.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Mudding

AK ROVER- You sold your disco?

i'm 6'0 and have long legs, so i kinda know what he means, if no one is sitting behind me than i can get enough room, but as soon as someone of average height is back there, my knee is usually in the dash as well

Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Now that you mention stop lights they were a little tough sometimes when I stopped too close but for normal driving down the road I never had a problem. I usually ended up watching the stop light at the side of the road if there was one rather than directly overhead in front of me.
What he said.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm 5'5", plenty of leg room as well as head room in my Disco.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'5" and i dont have an issue with leg room. I actually like being closer to the wheel, but thats obviously personal preference. But yes, you do have to bend over a bit to see the lights if you are first in line. Great when the sun is setting, bad when you need to see upwards.

I was told that Land Rover didnt really take into account the windscreen height for us here in the U.S. because most of the traffic lights in Europe are on posts anyways. That may be more of a tale than anything, but it make a little but of sense.

Anyways, I think you'll get used to the driving position after a while. Like I said, I actually like it. And I have more head room in a Disco than a Suburban BTW.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

im 6 foot 5, a little less leg room than desired in both the rovers ive had, but its something ive gotten used to. adaptation

Quick Reply: Leg room?