Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the Fun Begin Going Up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the Fun Begin Going Up!

I hope everyone is having a good day. I'll post the before and afters, the Pro-Comps are going to take another day or two due to the fact that I had to verify a PO Box address which causes problems with our online orders to ship to our street address every once in a while.
Hopefully This will be done by the weekend as I want to Wheel up above the tree line to a weather station at Vail/Heavenly Resorts in Tahoe(basically to the top of the resort on legal off road trails)! There's nothing like eating lunch with that view with the wife! Man the orthopedic surgeon said not to use my right hand for another month. UGH!!!!!!
I found a British guy thats my age in his late 30's who has a Rover shop right in our town. There were 3 Discovery 1's being worked on while we were talking. The wife had him work on her HSE too years ago with good results.
He has a pretty hardcore opinion that the discovery 1 is a better Rover if anyone would like to weigh in on this subject I am very interested in everyones input on this Forum about the two Discovery's..

Attached Thumbnails Let the Fun Begin Going Up!-img00066.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As a die hard DI owner I would agree with your tech that DI's are way better than DII's.
I was looking at DII's and P-38's before I bought my truck, but I chose the DI because of its simplicity, its classic looks, ease to work on and cost of parts/used part aviablility.
I am a simple person who lives a simple life and the DI fits me perfectly.

Now DII owners who reply to this will tell you that they love their DII's.

It is all relative.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

What years were the disc1 made and what years are the disc2.Now are the biggest differences air ride suspension? or was that on option on certain models in both versions? I ask because I really do not want the air ride susp.I like things way more simple.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rand- if you want more simple, get a D1. Made up until mid 99.

To the OP, I love my D1. I have taken it on a few trails, but mostly through bad snowstorms. The 2000 I have now I have driven before. I was following a buddy, and locked his T-case, and when combined with the traction control, I would say the D2 is better. If you can keep the 3 amigos away, I would drive the D2 over the D1.....

But I still love my D1

Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the chance to wheel with a stock 2004 DII recently. From an off-road perspective, I was amazed how it preformed with the CDL locked. It did better than my 2000 with no CDL, and it has inspired me to start saving for a CDL upgrade. That being said... here is what i think: Any rover with the ability to lock the CDL is what you want to have if you plan to off road alot. A DI is a great truck, easy to work on, classic looks, and less chance of problem when it comes to bells n whistles. The DII has more creature comforts, and is more complex, but has some impressive technology that is benefical off road (HDC), it also is a better ride on-road. I dont know why Land Rover felt they should leave off the CDL shifter from 99-03, but I think thats what gives the DI a heads up over most DII in the eyes off an off roader. But as final words... The best Disco ever made IMO:

The 2004 Land Rover Discovery II.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my D1

Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI ran from 1989-1999 with spring ride only.
The DII started in 1999.5-2004 with ACE (active cornering enhancment) and SLS (self leveling suspension) as options/standard on certain trim levels.
DII's also had 18" rims as a option.
So if you want off road stay away from the 18" rims.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Angry Kaboom!! Bam!! Smash!! And then the're was a pile of trucks

Well I got the Rover back from the shop. We all stood around it admiring how nice it came out. Everyone who came into the shop all morning was commenting on how nice the Rover came out. The O.M.E.(HD) kit that set the truck up just under 2" and the 265/75/16 Pro Comp extreme A/T were just enough setting the Rover up just a bit more too and giving the tread pattern on it just enough to say this Rover means business without looking like it belongs on the cover of Rock Crawler Monthly.
Well here's the short version of it because I'm a big fan of self deprecating humor my new brakes and A/T's covered in the slippery stuff to break them out of the moulds that stays on the tires for approximately 500 miles ended in a 3 car pile up not even a mile from the Rover Shop. The woman in front of me slammed on her brakes while petting her mini dog that was riding shotgun/in her lap. I slammed on the brakes and tried to jump the curb but instead we stayed the course right into the rear end of her mini suv which in turn plowed her into a very nice fellow in his F150. The moose booster on the front of the Rover basically sacrificed its self for the rest of the Rover. The Rover is still fully drivable but after we all stood around it back at the Rover Shop and added up all the parts that were destroyed we quickly tallied everything up and decided that I mind as well just use our insurance to cover everything..............UGH!!!! So now next stop a body shop that both my Rover buddies and our insurance company all agree on..

Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please tell us the dog was a casualty. I hate lap dogs. I used to be one.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Heres some shots with the OME HD Kit.

Here's some shots of the good side that doesn't look like I took it up the Rubicon at 90mph. Nope the lap dog just seemed POed that I ruined its nap.

Attached Thumbnails Let the Fun Begin Going Up!-img00024.jpg   Let the Fun Begin Going Up!-img00026.jpg  

Last edited by JMON; 06-13-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: syntax

Quick Reply: Let the Fun Begin Going Up!