Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Disco II car audio!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Let's talk Disco II car audio!

What are your upgrades, pics? My display is backlight, but no other display. I think the sound is decent, and do not really want to do a complete overhaul. I am interested in what you have done. Touch screen would be nice, and don't really want an obvious aftermarket look. Show me yours!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Deleted the whole factory system, did a double-DIN mod with a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX head unit, infinity reference component speakers for the front, and a "wakeboard tower" style bar with 2 speakers + dual 8" woofers. Amplifier under driver seat

The following users liked this post:
HuskerRover (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Oops, here's the front speaker. Used pvc pipe for the speakers

Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I run the stock **** in my D2 (no pics necessary, we all know what it looks like) with an FM transmitter and 40,000 songs on my old iPhone. In shuffle. Every day is the best DJ playing the best songs without ever opening his mouth to interrupt the music.

Virgil Grillone (05-29-2021)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 AM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

Don’t have many pictures but I have a pioneer flip up unit . All new speakers with new wiring and it’s own 4 channel amp mounted under the passenger seat . And a 12” sub in the trunk with amp mounted to one of the bins. And soundeadening in all the doors to make everything better

HuskerRover (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You've got a ton of space behind the plastic, so I cut a little and did the double DIN for a big screen. I just did a quick and dirty installation of a $40 eBay head unit, but it's been working great and has GPS maps display, Spotify tunes, USB port, plays CDs and DVDs, FM/AM radio, bluetooth for the hands free phone, etc.

I paid the extra $10 for the wiring kit on eBay so I didn't have to cut any wires, except the ones that I ran through to the back bumper for the reverse camera and to the backup light for its signal control (which is slow... takes a full second for the reverse cam to display the rear imagery once you shift into R).

Later, long after I put in the effort, I learned that there are some double DIN head units that fit into the Disco 2 dash without cutting any plastic.

I had the OEM Harman Kardon upmarket Amp/speakers and CD changer. The CD changer is no longer connected, but the amp works fine and the speakers give out good range and power so I kept them.

This particular Disco 2 has defacto sound deadening in each door because I've got ballistic fabric covering the sides and rear of the Disco, so that keeps out a lot of exterior noise plus might help the speakers inside.

It's got a touch screen of course but this el cheapo unit also has the analog volume and tuning dials that I crave.

Last edited by No Doubt; 03-20-2019 at 12:41 AM.
HuskerRover (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by No Doubt

You've got a ton of space behind the plastic, so I cut a little and did the double DIN for a big screen. I just did a quick and dirty installation of a $40 eBay head unit, but it's been working great and has GPS maps display, Spotify tunes, USB port, plays CDs and DVDs, FM/AM radio, bluetooth for the hands free phone, etc.

I paid the extra $10 for the wiring kit on eBay so I didn't have to cut any wires, except the ones that I ran through to the back bumper for the reverse camera and to the backup light for its signal control (which is slow... takes a full second for the reverse cam to display the rear imagery once you shift into R).

Later, long after I put in the effort, I learned that there are some double DIN head units that fit into the Disco 2 dash without cutting any plastic.

I had the OEM Harman Kardon upmarket Amp/speakers and CD changer. The CD changer is no longer connected, but the amp works fine and the speakers give out good range and power so I kept them.

This particular Disco 2 has defacto sound deadening in each door because I've got ballistic fabric covering the sides and rear of the Disco, so that keeps out a lot of exterior noise plus might help the speakers inside.

It's got a touch screen of course but this el cheapo unit also has the analog volume and tuning dials that I crave.
Do you by chance remember the direct fit radios double din? I am not really wanting to mod the bezel if I don't have too.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Do you by chance remember what these were? Iwould rather not carve up the dash if possible.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I did a double DIN deck, Focal speakers (3 ways front and 2 ways rear), sound damping in the doors, Amp, sub, and cameras front and rear.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean Maginness:
MrValingo (06-08-2019), Shmockiebaby (03-26-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sean Maginness

I did a double DIN deck, Focal speakers (3 ways front and 2 ways rear), sound damping in the doors, Amp, sub, and cameras front and rear.
I like that! How did you do the bezel?

Quick Reply: Let's talk Disco II car audio!