Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LiFePO4 Power Queen Battery 100 AH

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default LiFePO4 Power Queen Battery 100 AH

A new LiFeP04 battery is being delivered this week. It's a company I have not used before, but the battery size is why I purchased it, as the battery is; 10.24" wide, 5.24" Deep, 8.96" Tall.
I used my passenger side cargo area store bin as my secondary battery location, so the area is limited. I can easily fit one of these batteries, and have the outside look stock, and I should be able to install two of these batteries in parallel, giving me 200 AH.
I'll let everyone know how the install goes and how well the battery or batteries hold up.
I have temperature activated cooling in the bin as well, there is an intake from inside the Disco and an exhaust to the outside, plus the DC to DC charger has a thermal probe as well, so heat is not really an issue.
This mostly runs my Fridge, and I can open the bin at night if temp gets too high, though I don't anticipate that.
So far, this is the only practical method I've come across to get 200 AH in that area, without completely cutting into the back of the storage bin.
Also, everything will be secured to the floor, in case of rollover, though I'll need to fabricate a better tie down than my current 40AH setup.

The following 2 users liked this post by Xanthro:
Disco Rocks (05-12-2023), The_OGCJR (05-11-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I have a 50Ah setup in the same place, I don’t need quite as much power as you do and as it is the LiFePO4 battery that’s in there now is an upgrade from the lead acid one that was in there prior. I’ve run a line up to the roof where I can plug in my roof top tent stuff into and it’s been one of the best things I’ve done with my rig, camping wise.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

That is a nice size battery! I bought the 100aH Weize and put it into a boat battery box and created a mount where the 40-split seat would be installed. Works great for camping but it is a pita to swap the seat/battery out. I am curious if there might be enough room behind the storage bins to secure 4 x 20aH lifepo4 batteries so I can keep all my seats in place.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by gecko951
That is a nice size battery! I bought the 100aH Weize and put it into a boat battery box and created a mount where the 40-split seat would be installed. Works great for camping but it is a pita to swap the seat/battery out. I am curious if there might be enough room behind the storage bins to secure 4 x 20aH lifepo4 batteries so I can keep all my seats in place.
You can now get 30AH batteries that are the exact same size as the older 20AH. I have two of the 20Ah.
I know a 30AH will fit in the space in the cargo area where the interior vents are located. You can even remove the vents and have direct access to the battery, and the battery will even fit into the open vent slot.
If you cut out the back of the storage area, you can fit a bunch of the 30AH in the storage area.
The Power Queen battery arrives today, so I have the entire cargo area open, so if you want to know if something can fit in a specific location, let me know and I'll check.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:23 PM
Mudding

Power Queen mini battery was delivered.
Actual dimensions are a tiny bit smaller than advertised. It's actually 10 1/8" wide, 5 1/8", Deep, 8 7/8" Tall. Tall does not include the posts mounts or posts installed.
The other measurements are at the biggest point, there is a slightly larger area at the top where the BMS system resides. Actual footprint is 5"x10".
Charging it up now, before install.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Price for the Power Queen mini sound not that expensive anymore. Will it fit into the rear cabinets? Which DC/DC charger are you going to use?

Old 05-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Discorama
Price for the Power Queen mini sound not that expensive anymore. Will it fit into the rear cabinets? Which DC/DC charger are you going to use?
It will fit in the cargo area bins, without cutting or modification, and have room for air flow around it. Though the weight should be supported underneath. With cutting, two should be able to fit in, but I'll have to try that latter (with a mockup battery)
Also, a Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST 12 Circuit Fuse Block will fit, vertically, above the battery, without any modification. Though you need to put it 1/4" down from the top, or the lid will hit it while opening. There is plenty of room.
I'm using the Renogy 12V 50A DC to DC Charger with MPPT. I got this on a Black Friday sale, otherwise I'd have used Vitron. I have 300 watts of solar on the roof of the Landy, so this allows me to both solar charge and alternator charge the rear batter, and it will top off the starter battery as well, as long as the rear battery has enough power, and the solar will trickle charge both.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanthro
I'm using the Renogy 12V 50A DC to DC Charger with MPPT. I got this on a Black Friday sale, otherwise I'd have used Vitron. I have 300 watts of solar on the roof of the Landy, so this allows me to both solar charge and alternator charge the rear batter, and it will top off the starter battery as well, as long as the rear battery has enough power, and the solar will trickle charge both.
Interesting, I was looking for something like this. The Renogy and a fuse block should fit behind the vents next to the rear door (there is lots of unused space behind).

Old 05-12-2023, 12:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

Perhaps you already know this....but for those who don't....one of the negatives to the Renogy DC-DC chargers is that if you have both solar charging and vehicle charging it will cut the output in half on your vehicle charging. The solution is to put a cutoff switch on your solar input; switch it to OFF when you are on the road so that you get the full 50A vehicle charging.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:47 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Discorama
Interesting, I was looking for something like this. The Renogy and a fuse block should fit behind the vents next to the rear door (there is lots of unused space behind).
I mounted my on the pillar, for air flow reasons, so it is visible. Where there is a large amount of unused space behind the vents, that's where I pulled the wiring in as well, and I don't like wiring around controllers. I mounted a fuse block inside the cargo bin, for easier access in case something goes wrong.

Quick Reply: LiFePO4 Power Queen Battery 100 AH