Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift

I have a 2000 Discovery and I am thinking about lifting it. I am looking for recommendations on what would be the optimal height and what would be the best kit to get. I don't park in garages or have to worry about heights issues so I am looking for a lift that is aesthetically appealing and serves practical use. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Old Man Emu... 2" looks good and functionality is superior. I feel that the 3" is overkill if you are going to drive on the highway more than 50% of the time... if you are going to be off road more than 50% and you need the extra clearance then maybe the 3"... in any case I STRONGLY recomend the OME. Stay with the medium duty if everything else is going to stay stock. If you plan on adding a steel bumper front and or back than go with the heavy duty. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Most folks feel that 2" is a good choice.

I decided that I'd end up being sorry later and just went with the 3" TerraFirma lift kit from Lucky8 LLC and 235 85r16 tires...

(P.S.- To answer the next two obvious questions... Yes, those tires do fit without a lift too, so they'd be fine if you chose to do a 2" lift. No, I've noticed no difference in how the truck behaves on the highway or in day to day driving.)

Last edited by dcarr1971; 03-02-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Overlanding

That is hard to believe you have a 3" lift on that, I can't even tell judging by the photo. Do you know how much larger of tires you could fit on that without rubbing? Also, who much did you pay for that terrafirma kit and how much did it cost to get it installed?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Go with the 3". I have a 2" spring set from Rovertym and after about 2 months I wished I had gone with the 3" don't get me wrong the truck looks great with the lift and 32" tires. My truck is the same year as yours and my springs were pretty worn out, I got more than 2" out of the new springs but if you are going to lift it, LIFT IT!!! You will wish you had down the road.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I like the OME 3". I carry a lot of heavy stuff when i take mine out so they come in handy. I don't drive mine on the street very much, but when i do the ride is ok. part #'s are in my tag line

Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Overlanding

It seems that at least a 3" lift is the way to go and in that case, what is the best brand to go out and what websites offer the best deal?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Landy Idaho
...I can't even tell judging by the photo. Do you know how much larger of tires you could fit on that without rubbing? ...
OK...maybe I should have included this as a 'before' picture to give you a point of reference. 3" is definitely a pretty noticeable difference when you look at the 2 pictures together.

As for the tires, I know I could go bigger, but I've not investigated how much bigger. My 235 85r16 BFG AT-KO's are roughly 32". (They're basically the same diameter as a 265 75r16, but the 235's are skinnier, which makes them better in the snow.) I would expect that I could probably go up to a 33" tire without rubbing or having to do significant trimming.

...Also, who much did you pay for that terrafirma kit and how much did it cost to get it installed?
I got my kit from Lucky8 LLC. (FIVESPDDISCO on this forum, but better contact him (Justin) via his website (http://www.lucky8llc.com) or at the phone# on that site.) It was $588 with free shipping.

I installed the lift myself, so I don't know what it would have cost to have it put in. Justin (FIVESPDDISCO) has an install video posted on this forum for this lift kit. It wasn't tough to do myself, but it took longer (~6 hours) than I expected...

It seems that at least a 3" lift is the way to go and in that case, what is the best brand to go out and what websites offer the best deal?
L8 offers both the TerraFirma kits and OME. I'd also give PT Schram a call as I understand he carries TerraFirma stuff too. Otherwise, you can probably look at AtlanticBritish or Rovers North too, but I like to help support the smaller guys whenever I can...

Last edited by dcarr1971; 03-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Rock Crawling

you need to do some research the internet for the best deal. I got mine from a local Jeep builder. Expedition Exchange, Atlantic British, ROvers NOrth, ROcky mountain off road (or something like that). Google is your friend.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

The Rovertym spring set is only $350 for both the 2" and 3". Shocks? I never changed mine, the springs are pretty stiff.

Quick Reply: Lift