Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Install Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Install Woes

So this is actually my first post, but I've been around gathering information for a while- that search function is handy!

Anyways, dove into installing my lift today (Series I- '98 LSE), but ran into a few problems:
1. My rear upper shock mount broke off at the bolt. Easily fixed, it'll just take a few days to get the part.
2. I can't for the life of me get the 3/4" nut at the bottom of one of the front shocks off. I got one, no problem- used an 11/32" box wrench at the bottom of the bolt. This one is giving me more trouble- the 11/32" wrench keeps sliding off the bolt- I think it's partially stripped. I tried using a strap oil filter wrench to hold the shock, but I can't get the grip I need. I drowned it in Liquid Wrench, still no luck. I surely can't be the only one who's run into this. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. And thanks for all the help I've already received- you just didn't know it.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Lift Install Woes

Time to cut or chisel it off.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You could try hitting the nut with some heat from a plumber's torch. That usually works wonders for me.

Dave

Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heat usually works wonders for stuck bolts (heat and expand the nut). If you don't have atorch get one that will burn MAP gas as well. It gives you the option of burning much hotter than propane if needed. They're only like $50 or so. If it's badly stripped, a good pair of vice-grips will usually hold it and a pipe wrench for the shock (I assume you're replacing it).

Edit: That nut doesn't look very stripped at all. You might be using the wrong size wrench. It looks like you used the wrong size and it wasn't on the nut all the way. Sure it's not metric?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Overlanding

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll borrow a torch from work and give that a go.

jkid- the nut isn't stripped- it's the bolt at the bottom of the shock. It seems that the ends are machined to 11/32" so you can hold the bolt in place with a wrench, and use a 3/4" wrench to remove the nut. I've definitely got a good grip on the nut- it's the bolt/shock I'm having trouble with.

I've got a nut splitter (sounds painful), but I'd prefer to use it only as a last resort. At the base of the shock there is some scoring. I'm wondering if I could use a pipe wrench where it's scored without completely destroying the shock.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem. Get a friend with some muscles and throw a set of vice grips on the box. Worked for me.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Overlanding

So I got the demon nut off. I clamped some vice grips on the 11/32" end, held the shock with a strap wrench, and PB'd the hell out of it, and it finally came off- only took about 3 hours (between all 3 attempts to remove it). So the front end is now done.

Now the back end. Got the springs on, but the shock mount bolts broke right off, on both sides. So I need to replaceboth rear upper shock mounts. My question is, is this common? Both sides broke off on mine, and I notice the mounts are fairly easy to find as replacement parts. The reason I ask is because the guy I bought my Disco from has a parts car he said I could come down and pilfer what I needed off of it. Is it a waste of my time to go down there, when the ones I'd be taking will probably break when I try to remove them? Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Can't say it is real common, it is just a Rover doing what they do best.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM
4wd High

hmmm, id just get those mounts new and be done with it....

Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: systek

hmmm, id just get those mounts new and be done with it....
That's a wise choice. I think it might be common to most any vehicle (mounts or bolts holding the mounts). I know that I'veended up justweldingtheshock mountsback up there.

Quick Reply: Lift Install Woes