Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Measurements

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Lift Measurements

I have a 2" Medium Duty Terrafirma lift w/ D1 coil seats in the rear. I want to level out my ride and at the same time add a little more lift w/o removing the rear D1 spring plates. I'm looking to add spacers, but am unsure as to what size for the front and what size for the rear. 1/2" in the rear and 1" in the front??

Background on the D1 spring plates, I initially wanted the rear rake look, but after have installed the D1 plates I'm looking to level out the stance while keeping the additional height I gained from the plates (spacers in a way). If I were to remove the plates I could potentially get the stance back to the original lift height yielded by the MD Terrafirma kit and the stance would be level. But, I'm looking to gain a little more height.

I should have originally went w/ a 3" lift.

What are my options to get my truck to sit level and at the same time increase my current lift height w/o replacing the springs?

Here's what I'm working w/ now.

Last edited by coors; 12-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Pro Wrench

Another thought: if I swap out my front MD springs for HD springs would I gain height over my current setup? If so, how much?

What would be the consequences of the HD springs? Would I have driveline issues? Get technical with your replies.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Well that's odd. I recently put a 2" lift on my DII and used 2" OME springs in the front and spacers in the back (I have SLS air suspension). I measured from the center of the wheel to the wheel arch when it was done and both the front and back came out to exactly 21". And mine sits perfectly level.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench

What I cant wrap my head around is how people have the same measurements front and back when the front wheel arch is cut higher on the body. See my pic and measurements above. My rear is higher yet the measurment (center hub to wheel arch) is less than the front. What am I missing??

Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Coors, sorry I did not post pics yet. Been a little busy. My front is at 21" even and rear is at almost 22 1/2". I did the TF 3" HD lift. I have ARB on the front and a Blue top optima so that has added some weight, I have a Tactical rear bumper to put on and just removed my running boards waiting for the TF sliders with tree guards. I bought a 1" space for the front hoping it will sit level after I install it as well as the other parts. I will snap a pic in the am and post it for you. It is odd that your rear sits a little lower...

Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the two arches are different actually. It just looks that way because the body lines slope down from back to front.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

coors what do you measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well? I have been told that is a more accurate way to go.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by aarongregor
coors what do you measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well? I have been told that is a more accurate way to go.
Aaron. Check out my pic in the first post. Those are my mrasuring points. Where did you you take your measurements?

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
I don't think the two arches are different actually. It just looks that way because the body lines slope down from back to front.
The wheel arches are undoubtedly at different heights. The front is cut higher on the body to allow the front wheels to swivel in and out. Right?

Last edited by coors; 12-13-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by aarongregor
. It is odd that your rear sits a little lower...
My measurements show that it sits lower, but in person the rear actually sits HIGHER than the front. Am I measuring at the wrong points of reference??? WTH!

Last edited by coors; 12-13-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

My guess: you're rear numbers are little lower than some other people's because you've got a seven seater. It looks fine to me. Even rave shows that the stock numbers are .7 inches higher in the front, I'm guessing because the front wheel well is probably bigger to allow for the wheel to be turned while flexing the suspension.

Last edited by jafir; 12-13-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Lift Measurements