Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So... I've been doing a bit of research and think I've settled on the Nitto Terra Grappler AT in the LT285/65R18 E1.

According to the Nitto site it has the following specs...

Size Diameter Width Wheel Size Load/PSI
LT285/65R18 E125R 32.52 11.22 8.0-(8.5)-10.0 3640@80

It's a 10 Ply tire with a fairly aggressive AT tread. I've looked at the Trail Grappler, but think that it may be too aggressive for how I normally use the Disco and I'm afraid the road noise would be too high and the tire wear would be too quick.

So, do you think those specs would work out fine with a 2" OME Lift? I will definitely be installing the heavy duty front springs due to the added weight of the Hard Labor Creek Fabrication winch bumper and the bumper is cut so that I don't think that I will have any rubbing issues in the front.

I think the E load rating will greatly improve stability while towing.

Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

No idea where you are or what your trailers weigh, but if you have much in the way of hills you're very likely to take a pretty good power hit with a 32.5" tire towing and stock R&P.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Eventually, 4.12 gears will be installed... But not right away.

In terms of towing, I live in South Central Indiana, and there are some hills, but my most frequent towing here amounts to pulling the boat from our inside storage facility across the street less than a mile to the launch ramp (inside a State Park where the speed limit is 20 MPH).

I also tow it to Northern Indiana (incredibly flat) a couple of times a year to our lake house and back.

Towing the motorcycle trailer is fairly infrequent, and usually within the state to a couple of off road parks...

It's not an every day thing...

Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine with OME HDs and it has 285/75 KM2s. I towed a similar sized bow rider boat about 8 times this summer, including a 160 mile round trip with some hills. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but it was fine. Anticipating hills and downshifting manually seemed to help.

Attached Thumbnails Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer-disco.buggy.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@Charlie_V : 3 inch TF is a true +3" from stock, an OME MD is +1.5" from stock for the D2.

I've towed a 2001 23ft Maxum 2300sr weighing about 4200 pounds (dry) with my 4.0, my rear airs bags pumped for what felt like forever, only one hill really had me worried but I climbed right up it at 45 mph, everyone behind me was pissed, but I made it
Launching and Pulling the boat out was done in low range to be safe though.

EDIT: I was towing on 245/75r16 (larger than stock) Michelin C class tires, if its only a few time thing it shouldn't be a big deal. Just go really easy on the acceleration.

Last edited by Dane!; 01-19-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I revisited tire specs on the Nitto site... I think a better option would actually be the:

Size Diam Width Wheel Size Load Capacity
LT275/65R18 E123R 32.01 10.83 7.5-(8.0)-9.0 3415@80 psi

I'm a little worried that a 285 might rub on the inner fender wells due to width.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:13 PM
7th Gear

I've owned a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/75r16. Because they are 10 ply, they are very stable for towing. They also have a very square cross-section which makes it rub more than another brand tire of the same size. I had them on my 2wd F150 and never had any issues in deep snow or sand (except for the time I forgot to air down at the dunes).

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Mudding

Can I assume these heavy trailers (4,000 lbs) have electric brakes? We have a Suburban we use to tow our large horse trailer but would love to get down to I V8 SUV, that being the Rover. We are stock everything and upgrading struts and shocks this spring. Similar to the one below but ours has more rust so it's a bit lighter .

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling

My boat trailer is single axle and has surge brakes and my enclosed motorcycle trailer is tandem axle and has electric brakes.

The boat and trailer weigh about 3000 lbs, add in fuel, gear and cooler and you are probably looking at 3500 lbs tops.

The motorcycle trailer is all aluminum and weighs about 2100 lbs empty. Add in a couple of dirt bikes, or track bikes (depending) and gear, plus generator, gas cans, etc, and I might top out at 4000 lbs.

The brakes make a huge difference and I would never tow anything behind my Rover without the trailer having brakes. In addition, I put high performance slotted rotors on all four corners of the Rover.

I don't really ever worry about getting going while towing, but stopping is my greatest concern.

It's always good to be concerned with stopping ability, whether towing or driving on snow and ice.

I can remember my dad's advice when I was younger and we got our first 4 wheel drive vehicle... He said 4 wheel drive is great, you just have to remember, it will get up and go on slick roads like nothing else, but it stops just the same as everything else...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

OK - so I continue to read and research...

I've pretty much settled on a LT 275/65/18 tire for my setup and I think I have it narrowed down to one of two tire options...

Nitto Terra Grappler

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Commercial Traction

The more I study these two tires, the more I think the Goodyear might be the better option, especially for Indiana. It's rated as a Severe Snow Service tire, which would be extremely beneficial in the current conditions, and with an E load rating, it will have no problem with the towing I do.

Additionally, the DuraTrac has a much more aggressive tread pattern than the Terra Grappler (more similar to the Trail Grappler, actually - But the Trail Grappler is not supposed to be too good on snow or ice).

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer