Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifted

Last weekend I installed the RTE HD springs front and rear with OME HD shocks. Also installed the ARB bumper with Warn M8000. Being half dead after that ordeal I did not drive the vehicle until Monday morning when I had tires installed - 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT. Put it on the highway for the first time Friday night and noticed a good deal of steering wheel shake from 55 to 60, then just vibration above that speed. Stock setup was smooth as glass. I've moved the tires around to see if I have one that wasn't balanced properly, but that has no effect. Has the alignment changed with the lift? Has the lift now revealed the dreaded front axle vibration (no, haven't rebuilt it yet - just hit 90k miles)?

Attached Thumbnails Lifted-pimp-my-rover.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say Alignment. Did you change the steering stabilizer to the OME one?

Nice truck by the way.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Mudding

That may be the "missing link," literally. The new stabilizer didn't come with the rest of the shocks - interplanetary backorder. RTE is shipping the Bilstein unit and it may be here Monday. I'll report back.

Truck is a work in progress - replacement for my 95 Wrangler. I wanted a plain-jane rover for work in the woods (cruising timber) but wish I could have found one with a CDL. So far I have not been disappointed though - off-road ability here in the piney woods is superb.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Winching

What year is your discovery? Are you sure it does not have the CDL? If it doesn't have it, you can install one.

I installed mine.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Mudding

2002, so no CDL. Where did you get yours and how difficult was it to install? Do you have to drop the transfer case?

Old 05-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by gilder
2002, so no CDL. Where did you get yours and how difficult was it to install? Do you have to drop the transfer case?
http://toddcosuspensions.com/diiilodi.html

I wouldn't say it was easy. It takes a lot of time. But I did it by my self and my tcase/CDL works just fine!

You do not need to drop the transfer case. For that reason it is very Tight and everything is very close to together. It would be easier Dropping the tcase and just installing it or installing a whole new Tcase. But only if you have all the tools to drop a tcase. It weighs quite a bit.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

X2 on what Jupiter Rover said. We both have installed that CDL kit. If you want instructions for that install...shout.

If you know your t-case is healthy then adding this is a good move. Unless you find a super deal on an entire t-case and have a friend or two helping.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM
6th Gear

Where did you get your suspension kit?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Mudding

JYC, I'd like to see the instructions if you can send them - gilder@bellsouth.net - much appreciated.

Kaiser, the springs and shocks came from RoverTym. Took me about six hours to install front and rear and the only special tool I needed was the spring compressor. Probably could have done it faster but I cleaned and painted the lower spring seats. If you drink beer while watching the paint dry it will dry faster. Srsly.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Get the new steering stabilizer installed and have your front tires rebalanced, the tire store should do them for free.
Neither the shocks or coils is causing your issue and the alignment won't cause it either, so don't go wasting your money on a alignment.
One thing that will change with the lift is your castor which will cause your truck to track a little at highway speeds, you will get used to it or go the extra step to correct that also although it is pretty expensive to do.
What air pressure are you running in your 265's?

Last edited by Disco Mike; 05-18-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: after thought

Quick Reply: Lifted