Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter noise, i think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter noise, i think?

Hello. I am new to this forum, looks great. Found forum by accident.

I finally got my hands on a 2002 Discovery II. Its in really good shape, and runs great. It has the 4.0. Has 79,000 miles and is an Auto. I am wondering if i should be worried about lifter issue?

It has a slight knock, sounds like a lifter. Sound seems to come and go, never really at any particular times (engine temps etc). At idle, and low RPMs is when its most noticeable. Runs great, no engine lights coming on.

I don't really know anything about these engines. Any advice on curing the sound? or at least masking it, if it cant be fixed without pulling engine apart.

Do these motors run for awhile if well taken care of. I have always heard horror stories about land rovers. But i have always loved them, and could not resist this one.

I appreciate any information you guys can give me.

Thanks Aaron

Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well first you MUST use premium gas, if not your engine will blow up in time.
You must use a high quality motor oil and change it often.
These engines run forever if taken care of.
Not knowing where you live a 10w-40 is a good all around most people oil viscosity, no 5w-30, it is to thin for these engines.
These engines are nothing special, just a push rod V8 like your grandpa's '60's Buick had.

As for the lifter noise, change the oil, then buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and pour it in the crank case.
Drive for 500 miles and then change the oil again.

I use and also recommend diesel oil, it is highly detergent and will clean the engine as you drive, its cheap and is a great heavy duty oil.
Shell Rotella is what I use, 15w-40 for the summer and 5w-40 for the winter.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2: Mobil 1 10W40 with a Mobil 1 301 oil filter, or Shell Rotella 15W40 with the same filter. If you are getting the noise at idle then you most probably have a too light oil or lowish oil pressure, it's a good thing to check the oil pressure to give you a general idea of the engine's condition. The oil pressure light only comes on once its too late, the same with the temperature gauge - once it hits red its too late.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Drifting
Default thanks spike

thanks spike, i appreciate it. going to give it a try

Originally Posted by Spike555
Well first you MUST use premium gas, if not your engine will blow up in time.
You must use a high quality motor oil and change it often.
These engines run forever if taken care of.
Not knowing where you live a 10w-40 is a good all around most people oil viscosity, no 5w-30, it is to thin for these engines.
These engines are nothing special, just a push rod V8 like your grandpa's '60's Buick had.

As for the lifter noise, change the oil, then buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and pour it in the crank case.
Drive for 500 miles and then change the oil again.

I use and also recommend diesel oil, it is highly detergent and will clean the engine as you drive, its cheap and is a great heavy duty oil.
Shell Rotella is what I use, 15w-40 for the summer and 5w-40 for the winter.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Default Thanks Bundu

thanks Bundu, appreciate it. I didnt think of putting a nice oil pressure gauge in it. Good idea. So the stock one on an 02, doesn't have the actual pressure reading? It is just a dummy light basically?

Originally Posted by Bundu
x2: Mobil 1 10W40 with a Mobil 1 301 oil filter, or Shell Rotella 15W40 with the same filter. If you are getting the noise at idle then you most probably have a too light oil or lowish oil pressure, it's a good thing to check the oil pressure to give you a general idea of the engine's condition. The oil pressure light only comes on once its too late, the same with the temperature gauge - once it hits red its too late.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, its a dumb warning light that pops up when its too late, somewhere around 6 or 8 PSI - can't remember.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Below 8 psi and the oil light will come on.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Hello again guys. I changed oil today. Put in the 15w-40 with mystery oil. The thicker oil quieted it down instantly. I can still hear lifter, but it sounds a lot better. So hopefully it will sound less and less as i drive it.

I have a couple more questions. Do you know the difference between the mystery oil, and seafoam? Is one better than the other....

And i live in Washington State, on the west side. winters are usually pretty mild, but we do get freezing temps. Spike i noticed you run the lighter oil in the winter, i am wondering if i should to where i live?

Thanks guys

Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seafoam has ethanol in it and mmo does not. Also mmo has some other antiwear additives (not that much though). MMO s pretty safe to run with it in your oil for an entire OCI with seafoam you have to be more careful because of the ethanol. With the mmo you are diluting your oil in terms of both additives and viscosity so don't go over 3000 miles an oil change. I would switch to Rotella t6 5w40 or mobil 1 5w40 TDT in the winter. Mobil 1 0w40 is also a very good oil in the winter.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aarons02
Hello again guys. I changed oil today. Put in the 15w-40 with mystery oil. The thicker oil quieted it down instantly. I can still hear lifter, but it sounds a lot better. So hopefully it will sound less and less as i drive it.

I have a couple more questions. Do you know the difference between the mystery oil, and seafoam? Is one better than the other....

And i live in Washington State, on the west side. winters are usually pretty mild, but we do get freezing temps. Spike i noticed you run the lighter oil in the winter, i am wondering if i should to where i live?

Thanks guys
15w-40 is good down to 0*F, so you could run it all year, but I would switch to Rotella 5w-40 for the winter time.
Use the Marvel Mystery Oil, run for 500 miles and then change the oil and stick with the Rotella.
I change my oil every 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: lifter noise, i think?