Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifting disco and spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting disco and spacers?

Hi I am need some opinions on lifting my 96 disco. I have been looking around and the deal seems to be a 2 inch pro comp lift 500$. I will mostly be doing just trails and maybe some mud but no gnarly death rock crawling, I will be using this truck to commute to and from work 25 mile round trip every day. I also noticed I can get spacers to add hight for bigger tires and looks.

How dumb would it be for me to get the pro comp 2 in lift and add A 1 maybe 2 in spacer? Please I also need to know what I will need for the lift. longer brake lines, sterring stabelizer, and others...

thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you go anything higher then 2" you will need new brake lines, u-joints, etc.
Once you replace your springs you will get about a 1" lift anyway, that will bring it back to stock height.
Then do the 2" lift and you will be right where you want to be.
Around here we are big fans of the Old Man Emu (OME) lifts, they seem to be a better match for out trucks.
www.atlanticbritish.com
There are other and maybe cheaper places to buy the kit from, but it will have springs, shocks, everything that you will need.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do a lift first, most like OME and RTE will give you 2 inchs to start. Do your self a favor and don't do the Pro Comp lift, it is crap for all intents and purposes, that is why it is cheaper then the tried and proven OME's and RTE lifts.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

so pro comp no good? whats the problem with it? so 2in lift then hit up the one inch spacers? I will need brake lines ujoint and what else?

thanks for the feed back

Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you still have the rotoflex coupler in your rear driveshaft? If so 3" of lift is all the higher you can go before you need to convert to a u-joint. Your factory springs have settled at least an inch so a 2" OME or RTE lift give you about 3" over your current stance. You'd be better off spending the money for a 3" RTE kit and forget about the spacers.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

3 in lift cost a lot of money for me Im 19 years old and live by myself thats why i figured the cheapest way would work consitering i do not do major 4x4 but I do go off road on trails alot. im not sure what a rotoflex coupler is? I figured a 2 in lift and one in space will be cheaper and give me some performance and get the look i want I plan on trimming and getting bigger tires.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

Have you done much wheeling so far?
The rotor flex is at the rear diff where it connects to the rear driveshaft.
It is a rubber disc that takes the place of a u-joint.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM
4th Gear

plenty of wheeling in my broncos and toyotas but just got this land rover and i am a little scared to run into rocks and trees. but this is a dream car for me and i want to make it look and run smooth. Im fine with only 2 in lift but i figure if I am going to do that why not add another inch.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Well before you do anything take this truck wheeling, it is WAY more capible stock than a modded Bronco or Toyota.
Since you just bought it you know that you MUST use premiumn gas, right?
Seriously, a good set of A/T's and you can go almost anywhere.
And if you add alift you will have a lower roll over angle, stock it is 42%.
If you really want a lift thats fine, but just go with the 2" to start.
And all spacers are going to do is allow bigger tires which will lower your MPG and at 19 you need to save all the money you can.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

These trucks can do more in stock form than most modified vehicles. Tires will make a huge difference in performance off road. I would suggest either a mud terrain or a really aggressive all terrain. I found out last weekend that my Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts just aren't aggressive enough, especially in wet, sloppy snow.

I agree with Spike that before you worry about lifting your truck or other mods you need to take it off road and see what really needs to be done. I don't agree with lifting a truck for looks.

Quick Reply: lifting disco and spacers?