Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting my disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting my disco

I want to put a body lift or a bigger suspension on my stock disco. for looks and for bigger tires and ground clearance. Im having trouble finding the right tire though. Id like to use my stock 15" rims and put a bigger tire on it, maybe a 31'. How big of a tire could i use with a 2' body lift. Any recommendations?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Lifting my disco

First of all, Rovers don't have stock a 15" wheels, they will be either 16" or 18".
Second, don't go to a body lift, replace your springs, otherwise you will be very top heavy.
What size tire are you currently running?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

I think theyre 18" with 28" tires. On www.rovertym.com theyve got 2"-5" lift springs, if i just replaced my current springs with those will that give me the desired lift? For me, the bigger the lift the better, tires arent a problem im getting any pair i choose for free, so the bigger the better.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

How much lift do you want? At 3 inches and above you'll need to start adjustments to drive shaft angles, longer brake lines, steering... You'll have a bigger selection of tires if you go with a set of 16" wheels, and you should consider replacing the shocks too. You could also go with a complete kit from Cerrone's. There's lots of posts and threads here about your options for a lift too.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

You may want to think this out a lot. That big a lift is going to cost you in extra parts as mentioned including drive shafts, front radius arms rear suspension modifications and lots and lots of gas with the larger tires. Are you ready for a 2 to 3 MPG fuel drop, how about the replacement of both diffs and axles when they fail because of the bigger tires.
What is it you want to use the truck for?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Second, don't go to a body lift, replace your springs, otherwise you will be very top heavy.
How does a body lift make you more top heavy than a suspension lift? Body lift just lifts the body where a suspension lift lifts the body,frame,engine,etc. It looks to me like a suspension lift would raise your COG more than a body lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts but was planning on doing the same thing as seanski (2" body lift and 31" tires) because they are cheap.

discos have radius arms? Can somebody post a pic? I'm curious to see how they are set up. I haven't seen anything come stock with radius arms since late 70's model fords.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Cheap doesn't mean good or correct. You try and lift the body, while still running your warn out factory coils and that truck will be all over the road, including it's side when you get a little off camber and roll. To run a body lift, you need HD springs and shocks.
By the way, either will make you more top heavy, but at least with the new coils you have more suspension strength to control the roll.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look into the OME lift kit Tony sells. Shocks and springs as a kit and no other mods needed. It is the most popular setup. Also consider that the bigger the tire, the worse your MPG.

NiteTrain: do you not have a Disco?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy
NiteTrain: do you not have a Disco?
No, not yet. I am considering buying one this summer to use for mild off-roading, pulling my jetski and pulling my Jeep. I just want to get as much info on them as I can before I buy one. I started to buy one about 5 years ago but couldn't find one that didn't have serious leaks. Most appeared to be coming mainly from the power steering hose but the whole under side of the engine was so covered in fluid it was hard to tell what else might be leaking. I was looking at early to mid 90's models, I'm hoping some things have changed on them since BWM bought out land rover...has it?

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lifting is not cheap. The cost of the coils and shocks is the least of it. I have moved to the Dico after being a Jeep guy for a long time. I have an XJ with 8" lift and 35's, I upgraded to that from my 3". looking back the 3" was the best buy.

You need to think of all the components that need to be replaced or upgraded:
coils
shocks
gears
driveshafts
steering
brakes
basically all bushings
control/radius arms
possibly clocking the steering knuckles
and of course the gas mileage drop

I am sure I am forgetting something but that is a start.

Quick Reply: Lifting my disco