Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

living with GHVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default living with GHVD

Gas Hog Vehicle Disorder. Gas prices are getting much better but I'm just one of those people that can not fully enjoy himself if I know I'm getting gouged. So I try to think of reasons why my rover is worth driving over another smaller vehicle that gets better mileage.

1) safety. I don't believe I've driven a vehicle that feels more safe on the road than my disco. With a $5,000 insurance deductible even a minor injury could be very costly.

2) functionality. I occasionally need to drive on a dirt road or gravel driveway. It's nice knowing the disco can tackle it without the chance of any damage.

anybody got any others?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: living with GHVD

Well our Disco moved into second car statis, we bought a Volvo station wagon, it does everything the LR does except sit high, go off road or get bad MPG.
But reasons for keeping the Disco are, towing the utility trailer, it looks good sitting in the driveway, I'm inlove with it.
If it were legal for us to get married I think I would do it.
Both cars are paid for so that helps.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the main reasons I love my Disco is that I live in an area with a lot of snow, and all of my friends have crappy little cars (I use this term lightly, don 't be offended) like Civics, so in the winter I usually do most of the driving. SE7 is nice to have.

Oh and I LOVE towing my Jeep buddies out of the mud that think their trucks with $8000 dumped into them are unstoppable.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh goodness.... Spike, I think you are stalking me.... I got a 98 V-70 T-5 about 3 months ago....

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Well, yes, yes I am. I was hoping that you wouldnt notice. LOL
we have a '95 850 Turbo, that I-5 kicks butt!! We bought ours on July 1st of this year. 7 pass even.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a lot of fuel for what a new car/ truck would cost even
if you buy it out right.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I guess it is a trade off then. You got yours first. The only weird part would be if it is black.... I have a black 7 pass disco and you have a white one. I have a white 5 pass Volvo, and you have a >>>>>>

Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
4wd Low

I purchased my 2001 Discovery II SE after some guy in a Hyundi Senota t-boned my 1995 Yukon. He says he did not see my 2.5 ton RED SUV. The passenger side of my Yuke was a wipe, but you could still open the doors. The gas mizer was a complete air bag deploying total. That was the fourth time I've walked out of a total, none of them were my fault. My observations are that my Gas Guzzlers are ALWAYS the winner in these events. The safety of my family is paramount and I wouldn't dream of putting my wife in an economy car.

We don't go trail driving, much, but need the off road capability more often than some folks. This vehicle delivers on the promise of go where you need to go, road or not.

Ya, it looks cool in the drive!I work hard enough and long enough to drive what I want, not what gas prices dictate. Besides, the LR gets better mileage than my last two Jeeps or the Yukon did.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Well, I guess it is a trade off then. You got yours first. The only weird part would be if it is black.... I have a black 7 pass disco and you have a white one. I have a white 5 pass Volvo, and you have a >>>>>>

OMG! Are you ready for this? I mean really? Can you belive this? Our Volvo is.....are you ready?......dark green!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Mudding

I do a lotof landscape photography. It is nice knowing that I can pull off the road just about anywhere, without worrying about the drop, soft shoulders, etc.

Besides, what other vehicle can you drive that will allow you to go basically anywhere on earth, with Connolly leather, 320W stereo, and British style

That said, I commute on a 2007 BMW R1200RT...it gets 48 MPG!

Quick Reply: living with GHVD