Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Out

After sitting for a while I went to start my D2 but the battery was dead. I popped the hood and put the charger on it and then locked the doors and let it charge for the night. The next day the charge said it was charged so I took the charger off and shut the hood. I got the keys and pressed the unlock button on the remote but nothing happened. The red light on the remote lights up but nothing responds. I tried to put the key in the door but I can't get it in all the way. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it soak and tried again but still couldn't get it. It is currently soaking with the 3 spray of oil. I need to get into it to clean up a water leak before it gets full of mold or ruins my brand new headliner. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Does anyone have any ideas about why it won't unlock with the FOB or why the key won't go in the door all the way. It is raining out again today and I can only watch the water drip from the front of the headliner from the outside.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

dunno on the fob. I went swimming with mine, a few years ago, it didn't know how to swim.. you have only the one key? have you tried the removal of the neg. cable for a few minutes and try again? can you blow compressed air in the keyhole?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Click the FOB on and off about 10 to 20 times.
May need to resync.

Or use Fob #2 and same thing - 10 to 20 times.
Also - replace the battery in the fobs.

IF you can get the lock to operate, you may need to do the 1515 disarm sequence with the key.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling

The other key has the FOB broken, only the key part of it works which doesn't do any good because the key doesn't seem like it is going into the door all the way. I pushed it in as far as I could and it barely moves left and right. I am not sure how far the key is supposed to go in because I have never used it. Also, how do you change the battery in the FOB?

Last edited by jalodge; 12-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jfall
Click the FOB on and off about 10 to 20 times.
May need to resync.

Or use Fob #2 and same thing - 10 to 20 times.
Also - replace the battery in the fobs.

IF you can get the lock to operate, you may need to do the 1515 disarm sequence with the key.
I tried the remote and the vehicle does not respond at all. Does anyone have any directions to replace the battery? I am assuming that the local auto parts store will have the battery but I need to get it out to see what size it is.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Update:
I replaced the battery and still nothing. I sprayed more penetrating oil into the lock on the door until it started dripping from the bottom of the door.

Last edited by jalodge; 12-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
4wd Low

This typically happens when the batteries go dead on either the vehicle or the remote. You will need to get it sync'd up and for now you will need to get a lock smith to get it. Not sure what to say about the key not turning the door lock though?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

The battery was dead in the vehicle so that is probably the cause. I sprayed the crap out of it with penetrating oil with no luck. It seems like the key is not going in all the way but that might just be how Land Rover's are. I also tried the old coat hanger through the door trick but couldn't get enough leverage on the lock to pull it up.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 PM
4wd Low

Since my wife works for a fd I had her bring over a slim jim kit to get mine open...before that I was having the same issue with the coat hanger I have seen were some guys have fed a rod in and pressed the lock switch to get it open too

Quick Reply: Locked Out