Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers or CDL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lockers or CDL?

Just working my way down the ol' wish list.

I'm not certain which is the better route...upgrading my '03s non-locking transfer case or adding lockers.

With a used '04 case and the Ashcroft lever, I'm probably looking in the neighborhood of $1200 if I attempt the swamp myself.

The consensus seems to go with a Detroit in the rear and a Truetec in the front. The last I checked, they ran about $600 and 500 each, respectively. One advantage of going this route is that I can start out with one and then later swap the other, thus not needing as much money to get some upgrades going.

Either way, I'm going to get some better traction offroad.

Ideally, I'd like to have both.

Which do you suggest going with first?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, do you have the 04 t/case, if not, save some money and install a new Ashcroft diff. in your t/case, costs about $350 at Lucky 8.
What kind of wheeling will you be doing? I have the detroit/T.T. combination, works really well but will also require H.D. rear axles also. Might want to consider ft./rear T.T's, save money and still lay out some great traction when needed.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, do you have the 04 t/case, if not, save some money and install a new Ashcroft diff. in your t/case, costs about $350 at Lucky 8.
Yeah, def the way to start, except its about $428 bucks now... they changed the price 3 days before I ordered mine....

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling

What kind of wheeling will you be doing? I have the detroit/T.T. combination, works really well but will also require H.D. rear axles also. Might want to consider ft./rear T.T's, save money and still lay out some great traction when needed.
So I can upgrade my existing t-case?

Thanks for the tip.

Starting out, though...which is the better first step for moderate offroading: CDL or lockers?

Most of the stuff we do here is mudding and old mountain roads. Not much in the way of rockcrawling to be done.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

start with CDL.

i think you don't have the CDL then the transfer case could send 100% of the power to one of the axles. so with a locker you'd have two wheels spinning on the same axle but the other axle wouldn't have traction...

is that true?
(of course TC minimizes this effect a bit.)

Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Yeah, def the way to start, except its about $428 bucks now... they changed the price 3 days before I ordered mine....
Hmm...I'm confused.

I thought the '03 t-case was non-locking period.

But this Ashcroft lever magically makes it lock just like an '04 and I don't have to change the guts?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave I can't remember if it is just a kit or if it is a complete front output with the housing, but it allows you to have a locking center diff. Just add a shifter and presto.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Without CDL lockers in your axles doesn't help much. You'll still only put power to the axle with the least traction. With the locker/limited slip you'll put power to both wheels on that axle but power to all four wheels is even better. Start by upgrading your existing t-case to CDL then worry about lockers. I always wanted lockers in my D1 but never found them a necessity with CDL.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
Hmm...I'm confused.

I thought the '03 t-case was non-locking period.

But this Ashcroft lever magically makes it lock just like an '04 and I don't have to change the guts?
Yes, the 03 is a non-cdl t/case but adding the Ashcroft diff to it makes it lockable. If your t/case is quiet and has been maintained then you are better of rebuilding yours instead of buying an unknown.
You must have a CDL to be able to use a locker, so it is the first item on your list.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, the 03 is a non-cdl t/case but adding the Ashcroft diff to it makes it lockable. If your t/case is quiet and has been maintained then you are better of rebuilding yours instead of buying an unknown.
You must have a CDL to be able to use a locker, so it is the first item on your list.
Ok....got it, Mike.

$450 sounds like a good deal to get better traction and the video makes it seem pretty straightforward.

The t-case is leaking a bit of fluid around the bolts at the bottom, but nothing serious (drops forming, but nothing hitting the ground - 1/2 quart over 18 months). This would give me a good reason to drop the pan and fix it for good.

Quick Reply: Lockers or CDL?