Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at 2002 Disco, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2002 Disco, need advice

I am looking for a Land Rover and have been checking out this site for help and what to look for. You guys are awesome.

So I found a 2002 Discovery, 110k miles with engine overheating for $1500. Owner says it was a daily driver up until then, it will start and drive around the block before it gets hot.

Local Land Rover shop can do head gasket for up to $2200 and that includes sending the heads out to be checked, guides, seals etc. Based on all I have read it would save me some headaches on oil leaks. Would do it myself, but don't have the time right now.

What else should i look for upon inspection besides water in oil and driveshafts?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally would drive that cost down. $800 seems fair on your side since the vehicle will be with 3Kish once fixed.

However, be aware that the head gasket fix may not be a 1 time thing. They can / tend to be reoccurring.

With regards to other things that need checked, look at the frame for rust. Specifically the rear frame. Interior wise, don't be afraid to be like a little child and push every button you can find to make sure it works (sunroofs and door locks typically have issues)

I just wouldn't pay over 1K unless it had brand new tires and some aftermarket mods done already (bumpers, lights, rack, lift, etc)

Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

don't buy it unless you plan on learning to work on it. I bought a "nice" 03 and ive had to change everything. head gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, MAF meter ,plugs, wires, ect and it wont be long before the cam and lifters need replacing. Its fun and makes for a great hobby but you'll go broke paying some one.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

What else should i look for upon inspection besides water in oil and driveshafts?
Clean, all works, rust free, previously well maintained and checking for codes are a few things. Overheating doesn't necessarily = HGs unless/until confirmed. Could be more or less than HGs but you need to spend some time diagnosing the issues until then you never know.
Price? Always nice to get a bargain and I wouldn't pass up a jewel for the sake of being cheap. Members here have paid between nothing to $5k + for theirs and some happy regardless of the price paid.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were you I'd take it to the local Land Rover shop (either Indy or dealership) and pay $100 to $200 for a pre-purchase inspection. You won't regret the expenditure and they can most likely identify the need for a head gasket job or at least point you in the direction of what is currently wrong.

If it is head gaskets then you have bargaining power with the seller (especially with the shop backing you up). I'd try and get it as close to $1,000 as possible since it's going right to the shop without you even getting to drive it and break it yourself.

Also very helpful to be a little mechanically inclined (and willing to learn) or just flat out wealthy. Having work done is very costly, even when you have a great local Indy shop. But it's also an easy car to work on if you have some basic tools and a willingness to read the Rave manual and ask questions on here. This group really is the cat's pajamas and I've done the majority of my repair work with nothing but the search function.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind working on the vehicle, been working on cars and motorcycles on and off for 30 years so I know my way around the mechanical end. I don't mind figuring out what is causing the 3 amigos, rebuilding a drive shaft etc; digging into a head gasket job is daunting but not outside my wheelhouse.

I'm looking for a 4x4 to take to the beach or the mountains for fun as well as use for daily driver if needed. Here in Florida they want $3-5k for any 4x4 with 200k+ miles on it that needs a lot of work. I figure if I'm going to work on something, may as well ride in style instead of dirty junk.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DrXtreme
I don't mind working on the vehicle, been working on cars and motorcycles on and off for 30 years so I know my way around the mechanical end. I don't mind figuring out what is causing the 3 amigos, rebuilding a drive shaft etc; digging into a head gasket job is daunting but not outside my wheelhouse.

I'm looking for a 4x4 to take to the beach or the mountains for fun as well as use for daily driver if needed. Here in Florida they want $3-5k for any 4x4 with 200k+ miles on it that needs a lot of work. I figure if I'm going to work on something, may as well ride in style instead of dirty junk.
Well said and I think you will be just fine!

I'd still take it for a pre-purchase inspection if possible. It will just help point you in the right direction. Other than that see how low he will go and then have fun with it. They really are a blast and as others will tell you, once you've done all of the maintenance that previous owners neglected they really are pretty dependable.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I paid $2500 for mine and recently did a head gasket/top end overhaul on mine and even had everything powdercoated and ceramic coated that could be done and with the new water pump and radiator I might have $3300 in it so far. I figure I'll be in the 5-6k range when I have it like I want it but I love it. I've been turning wrenches since I was a kid and these engines are nothing but a 60's Buick 215 fuel injected so it's not bad at all. They are a blast to drive and will go places others won't. You will have to maintain it but that to me is part of the fun. If you do have to do a head gasket job, get the studs instead of stretch bolts is my biggest recommendation and since you are that far into it, pull the front cover and check everything and go ahead and replace the water pump. Hope you get the toy you are looking for and that we can help in you if you get it