Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at 2003 Discovery S

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Looking at 2003 Discovery S

ORIGINAL: geotrash

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but BMW sold Land Rover to Ford in 2000. You have a Ford. Oh, and it is still the same basic motor, it is not a Ford 4.6.
Whoops, I goofed on the timeline for BMW's sale of the marque to Ford. Thanks for catching my error. Not to hijack the thread, but I think 2005 is the year that Ford decided to use the Jaguar V8 for the LR3, correct? If so, I think that's where my confusion came from.

I did know that the Rover V8 was still being used for the '04 Discovery, and not the OHC Ford 4.6 V8, however. That would have ruined the bloodline of the vehicle so I'm glad Ford restrained themselves

Dave

You got it. The Jag supercharged V-8 was intro'ed on the LR3 I am still trying to figure out how to dump one in my 95...

Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learning guys keep the ideas coming.......

Ok I went and drove it. Well I have to say I was quite impressed. The ride was firm and very solid feel to it. The power was right there. I can see how you guys love these!! The salesperson started it up and a little engine clatter at start up. I did notice it had a cheap oil filter on it and it could have been sitting. My Xterra's VG33 engine does it too under same conditions. I did notice there was a little drivetrain noise before it shifted into 2nd. Could be the same sitting issue.

I read some reviews online and people that complan about turn radius. I think they should park a H1 at Wal-mart and then be slapped very hard! The only thing and this is just me is you sit really close the the door, but then again I am 6'2" and not a small guy. On the other hand it is most likely the way it was designed for visablity.

The wife and I am going back and Friday and taking it for the day. The good thing is the national forest is 8 miles down the road and we can run it down some fire roads. I personally think the lockable transfer case would be great thing to and I will look into that. Besides has anyone tried to fool these wheel sensors? I think if they were disconnected it might override it, but they are probably the ABS sensors too.

I thought I would post this pic for just fun. This pic was taked 2 weekends ago in Upper Michigan. I think the Disco has more articulation than my Xterra has.......

Footnote; I love my Xterra and I think there is enough love for a Rover too....

Thanks again guys,
Dan

Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife traded her 2001 Nissan XTerra SE that we had owned since new,for a convertible PT Cruiser. Needless to say that we very quickly found that we were missing the space that we didn't think we needed. This mistake allowed me to fill this dream I have had for over 10 years of owning a Discovery. For a while, I was still driving my Jeep, until the Rover was ready to be called and I say this very lightly.....reliable.

You cannot compare the reliability between the Nissan and the Land Rover. But the personality of the Rover is very, very hard to beat. Nissan tried hard, but it wasn't quite enough. Rovers are much more superior when it comes to interior comfort, and you actually feel like you are driving an S.U.V instead of the sit on the floor with your feet straight in front of you like in a car driving position of the XTerra.

Be ready to invest a couple of thousand dollars in the first few months, and if you don't expect it to be as reliable, and don't mind a leak here and there cause you cannot make it as dry as the Xterra, you have half a chance of being a very happy and proud owner. Just don't forget that on the streets, the Discovery is in a complete different social class too.

Those little girls checking you out in their pontiac sunfires when you drive the Xterra, will make way to ladies in BMWs. Not that I think this is worth anything, but its just something very obvious that I noticed myself. And to be honest, it's quite flattering!!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
4th Gear

I am married so we can forget the chicks in the BMWs In life you should impress yourself and not others!

Dan

Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2003 disco II (actually my wife has it [sm=hail.gif]) and it is great. I put alot of love in to it (about 300 dollars in fluids, another 250 in plugs and wires, and 700 in new cooling components ((radiator leaked, changing out t-stat and water pump while I'm at it)) ) and it drives like a caddi. On road, off road, it is great all around. Expect leaks, it is a given. The only one I'm trying to put a stop to is the coolant leakage, because that's just annoying. Overall, we love it.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

I have a 2003 disco II (actually my wife has it [sm=hail.gif]) and it is great. I put alot of love in to it (about 300 dollars in fluids, another 250 in plugs and wires, and 700 in new cooling components ((radiator leaked, changing out t-stat and water pump while I'm at it)) ) and it drives like a caddi. On road, off road, it is great all around. Expect leaks, it is a given. The only one I'm trying to put a stop to is the coolant leakage, because that's just annoying. Overall, we love it.
Have you found where your coolant leak is coming from? Have you done a coolant pressure test, this is guaranteed to find your leak.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a feeling when writting my last comment that I could very well be misinterpreted. It's just that when driving, I've always liked the looks of a nice looking lady driving BMWs,Mercedes and Jagsand would actually watch them as they would drive by and looking straigh ahead. Since I've owned the Discovery, I've noticed that they no longer look ahead when driving by, but they actually notice me too. I just found that to be curiously funny. I too am married and I'm not flurting with them, just enjoying the classy looks of a nice lady driving a Beemer. That's all.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

I had a feeling when writting my last comment that I could very well be misinterpreted. It's just that when driving, I've always liked the looks of a nice looking lady driving BMWs,Mercedes and Jagsand would actually watch them as they would drive by and looking straigh ahead. Since I've owned the Discovery, I've noticed that they no longer look ahead when driving by, but they actually notice me too. I just found that to be curiously funny. I too am married and I'm not flurting with them, just enjoying the classy looks of a nice lady driving a Beemer. That's all.
I knew what you meant the first time I read it, and I figured someone would read it fast and nail you for being too pretentious. I too have noticed this happening, even in my 97. I could care less what others think, but I can't help but notice all of the looks I get.

Then again, I am extremely attractive....

Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

ORIGINAL: Darover

I knew what you meant the first time I read it, and I figured someone would read it fast and nail you for being too pretentious. I too have noticed this happening, even in my 97. I could care less what others think, but I can't help but notice all of the looks I get.

Then again, I am extremely attractive....
I figured out as I drove my 02 Disco home that it was something special!..cause I'm one ugly SOB and noticed the ladies were check'in me out more in the Rover than when I drove my BMW325i or AudiA6. I also notice Rover drivers tend to wave as we pass each other.
GREAT Trucks! Great Owners!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Drifting

I have an 03 SE7. Honestly if I had to do it over again I would have bought the black 04 HSE because of the CDL on the transfer case. Just go for the 04!

Quick Reply: Looking at 2003 Discovery S