Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy a Disco...Does this one look any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy a Disco...Does this one look any good?

I posted the link below for a disco that i have been looking at. I called up the deal who is selling it and they say its a single owner and has been maintained very well with no current mechanical problems to mention. They are wanting about $6k for it and has 106,XXX miles. Do you think this is a good deal or do you think i should try to talk down?

And one more thing...i have been hearing a lot about suspension failure and needed head gasket replacement after about 100k miles. How should i check for signs of these problems and others?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/975906176.html

Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Looking to Buy a Disco...Does this one look any good?

A bit high on the price. Does it come with a warranty? Make sure that cdl shifter isn't siezed up from lack of use.

Eric

Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
5th Gear

From what i know i think that the dealership has warranty available at an extra price which im not sure how much it is...

And im new to land rovers so what is the CDL shifter?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It does look like a sharp truck.
www.kbb.com
www.nada.com
www.edmunds.com
Use those sites to help give you a idea of what the truck is really worth.
No there is no way to tell if the headgaskets have been replaced or the SLS is going to go bad.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A 99 is only going to have hi-neutral-low for the transfer, not center differential lock (CDL). Make the transfer case shifter moves with little resistance to all 3 positions. Try everything on the vehicle, windows, sunroofs, doors, lights, heater, a/c, etc. If there it a switch flip or push to make sure whatever it turns on works. Anything you find that doesn't work the way it did when it left the factory is definitely ground for negotiating on the price. They are asking pretty much top dollar for the vehicle so don't be afraid to talk them down. If possible take a flashlight and look for greaseable u-joints in the front drive shaft. IF the u-joints are non-greaseable then you want to talk the seller down so you have money to get greaseable u-joints put in before they fail and take out the transmission.

Overall I think it looks like it is well maintained and would be a good vehicle but just need to talk the price down some. Once you purchase search this forum for 60K Service list so you know what you need to do to make sure it is current on maintenance.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Is there some conspiracy to get Disco owners to buy Toyo Proxes ST tires for their trucks?

I agree with all of the above, but make sure the truck is in your budget (which should include another $1000 on top of the buying price for repairs/maintenance after the purchase). If you plan to use the Disco for anything besides commuting, the current tires will have to go - plan on another $900 for that if you keep the 18" wheels.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Mudding

The DII looks great in the pictures, love the color, very clean, though mileage is high. nevertheless, if I were you I will check the following:
[ul][*]Open the coolant tank cap. Is it clean or does it have the brown crude from a stop-leak additive. If stop leak has been used than you know you may have overheating issues that the engine has faced = Do not buy.[*]Check for transfer case leaks. personally, I would not buy one that has been leaking because, it probably has been run without lubricant. My first DI, a 1995, lost its transfer case, it was leaking and I had to refill it after I bought it . That did not save it.[*]Engine oil leaks are good because that means it has oil in it, so no worries here.[*]Transmission is pretty strong in the DII, just service it if you buy it. Do not buy if you notice slippage and make sure the torque converter locks up in 3rd and 4th.[*]The last item is the Christmas Tree lighting effect in the instrument cluster. Are the ABS, Traction, Hill Decent and Check engine lights. I prefer to buy one with these lights off.[/ul]Besides that, it is a great buy if you can get it for 5000.

Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Mudding

is it me or are front tires a little worn on the inside?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
5th Gear

okay so far from what i have been hearing is that i need to

1. Push every single button inside the truck and pull every lever to see if they all work.
2. Try to talk the dealer down
3. Play around with the CDL to make sure Hi-neutral-Low all work
4. Check to see if there are any warning lights
5. Check for transfer case leaks (HOW DO I DO THAT?)
6. Look for greaseable u-joints in the front drive shaft (HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS?)
7. Check coolant cap for build up on the underside
8. Look for possibly some new tires (ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?)

Anything else?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To check for t-case leaks you will need to crawl under the truck, just look for leaks. Is anything wet with oil or coolant?
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...ewoempart.aspx
As for the grease fittings, see the funny looking thing on the end of this pic? Feel around it for grease nipples. Feel inside the knuckles, there should be two fittings, if not it is not a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy a Disco...Does this one look any good?