Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying a Discovery 1 ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at buying a Discovery 1 ASAP

im new to LRF and joined because i am planing on buying a discovery series 1 to replace my older 1993 jeep grand cherokee limited

I have found many where i live and would like to ask a few questions.
what are the models?...i know that SE7 had all the extras,dual sunroofs,jump seats,and rear climate controls..ect.but what is a SD,XD and SE? or are there any obviouse differances?

Most of them i find that i can afford range from 1995-1999's most are 1996-1997's what would i expect with a used land rover this old,i know of them having leaky sunroofs and engine head gasket problems if not taken care of,what would i need to do when i got one first? Anything i would need to replace or check as soon as i get it or even before i get one? and finally what about MPG's? i know they are not great but i have some friends and relatives who say they get about 17-19 on the highway when they stay off of the throttle but im not expecting a 4cyl jap car gas mileage form it jsut curiouse on what you can get out of them. Any other advice you could give on buying a new(to me) discovery would be great! thanks to all that reply and for your time

Last edited by alabamaLR09; 08-30-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

the differences between the various trim levels (SE, SD, etc) are very subtle. It's mostly things like leather seats, sunroofs, etc that change between them, every DI has the same engine, they all perform exactly the same. Leaky sunroofs are a common problem (mine are too) as well as rear windows not working, a few other stupid things, but the head gasket problems are mainly limited to DIIs (mid 99-04) because they come from the factory with corrosive dexcool whereas DIs use regular green coolant. 17-19 is the best you can get on the highway, I get something closer to 15-17 highway, and down to 12 city if you drive with a lead foot. They require premium gas, you'd only be wasting money by using regular.

Also, get started on DiscoMike's 60k list as soon as you get the truck to bring all the maintenance up to date, and do a search on this forum for the RAVE manual, or I can email it to you if you want. It has all the info you'll ever need for a Disco.

When buying one just take it for a good test drive. Push every button, make sure the trans case shifter isn't seized. Just make sure everything works and that it drives well. If you have one you're interested in buying post about it here and we'll give you some more in depth info on it. Hope that helps

Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
4th Gear

that answered alot of my questions i didnt know they even had discoverys without leather haha if i get on its def going to have that
thanks for the answers because i was wonder about the gas and problems more than anyhitng it doesn't get much worse than my jeep did ( it has 285 75 r16's) other than the premium i can live with it but i used to run premium in my jeep every other tank anyway because it ran alot better now all im worried about is insurance on the LR lol

i would like the RAVE manual emailed to me im planning on getting a LR no matter what and it would be very helpful

escape_the_fate17@live.com is the email

thank you for your reply i will try and get pictures of the discoverys i would like

thanks alot,
Sean

Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I tried to zip the file and email it but gmail says it's too big. If some one has the link to the site download I'm sure they'll post it here soon though. You could also search for it on this forum and find it easily

Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Rave CD is gigantic you really cannot email it. I used the link in my signature.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 PM
4th Gear

okay, thanks guys ill def look into it and use it when i get my rover

Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The Rave CD is gigantic you really cannot email it. I used the link in my signature.
yeah I knew it was huge but damn! even the zip file is 300 megs.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Three Wheeling

don't get the computer wet in it, XD other than that and a few oil leaks mine is great, good luck and have fun

Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
4th Gear

well a havnt sold my jeep yet but a guy wants to trade his Discovery for my lifted jeep cause he got the land rover in a trade and doesnt want it and a LR is always going to wiorth more than a Jeep Grand Cherokee, its a 1999 SD with no sunroofs and all the other options,but it mus be a very early 1999 or even a very late 1998 because the title and the make and year are a 1999 but its a series one,the tail lights are smaller and at the bottom,so that def makes it a series I its runs good and has dual climate contols and has a little oil leak on the cover in the front corner(just valve covers,easy fix) and the back window is plexyglass cause its broken but also fixable,... is there anything i should be aware of for this year or years?? is the SD better or worse than say a SE7? how much is insurance going to run,im almost 18 now but im the secondary driver on the truck after my dad,,,, ,im confused on the exact year because it has 1999 but it has series I and series II things on it it must be a changing over year or somthing. but thanks for your answers guys im excited bout this LR

Quick Reply: looking at buying a Discovery 1 ASAP