Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for General Disco 2 Transmission Swap Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for General Disco 2 Transmission Swap Advice

Hello LR fam!

In about a month I will be starting my biggest diy project on my disco to date. I will be replacing my transmission and Torque converter. I have done all of the work to it so far and I plan on keeping it that way as long as I can.

I am just wondering if there is anything special I might need or anything particular I should know. I have a good tool set so unless it's a specialty tool I think I'm set. I am also getting a Trans jack because I don't want to take the risk with floor jack. Also my disco has a 3" lift so it should make things a little easier I was told.

I appreciate any and input. Thank you!

Old 02-05-2024, 06:15 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

You will need a transmission jack.
If you put the vehicle up on axle stands (or even ramps), you'll definitely be able to work under it on a creeper with that lift you have.

Also, download the RAVE manual. Between that and the wisdom from this forum, the answer to almost any Disco question can be found.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

1. There is a procedure in the rave to measure the torque converter depth, make sure to check it. You want to make sure you get it seated correctly at the right depth and keep it there throughout the install.
  2. Replace the transfer case center shaft o-rings while you have it down and out. Lots of videos on this. I have made a couple of post on it as well.
  3. Lowering the engine to get to the top bolts is the easiest way.
  4. Pretty common for the rear camshaft plug to leak. Be prepared to replace.
  5. Perfect time to do a CDL install if you don't have one.
  6. Good time to check the front driveshaft joints
  7. You have not stated transmission source, but I would change the front main seal on the transmission while you are there and if it is an HP22 I would think about the front pump seal.
  8. There is an upgraded exhaust pipe gasket available on Amazon, thicker, plan on getting that. Remflex 33-001

Old 02-05-2024, 09:17 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mollusc
You will need a transmission jack.
If you put the vehicle up on axle stands (or even ramps), you'll definitely be able to work under it on a creeper with that lift you have.

Also, download the RAVE manual. Between that and the wisdom from this forum, the answer to almost any Disco question can be found.
Yes sir! I am definitely going to go the safe route. And can you tell me, is the RAVE manual different than the original shop manual? I've been learning off of, using and planning to use that one. I will take a look at the RAVE one as well, but is there one you would suggest over the other?

Old 02-05-2024, 09:23 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Extinct
  1. There is a procedure in the rave to measure the torque converter depth, make sure to check it. You want to make sure you get it seated correctly at the right depth and keep it there throughout the install.
  2. Replace the transfer case center shaft o-rings while you have it down and out. Lots of videos on this. I have made a couple of post on it as well.
  3. Lowering the engine to get to the top bolts is the easiest way.
  4. Pretty common for the rear camshaft plug to leak. Be prepared to replace.
  5. Perfect time to do a CDL install if you don't have one.
  6. Good time to check the front driveshaft joints
  7. You have not stated transmission source, but I would change the front main seal on the transmission while you are there and if it is an HP22 I would think about the front pump seal.
  8. There is an upgraded exhaust pipe gasket available on Amazon, thicker, plan on getting that. Remflex 33-001
Wow! Thank you for your amazing answer! There is so much great information here! I am going to save this and make sure to refer to it as I go over my manual and everything else. I will check every single thing and make sure to get all of those seals and o-rings replaced. I do have CDL but checking the joints was a great idea since I'll be down there. Thank you for pointing that out!

Old 02-06-2024, 05:41 AM
Winching
Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I found removing the front bumper and using a series of long extensions for your socket wrench is the best way to get visual and direct access to the fly wheel bolts into the access hole on the right side. You can actually see the hole and the threads line up. Well worth the time of removing the bumper.

The brackets that hold on the O2 sensors are in very cumbersome and in the way when putting everything back together. Easier to just find places to zip tie them and the wiring harnesses to secure them.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:14 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by keninnc
I found removing the front bumper and using a series of long extensions for your socket wrench is the best way to get visual and direct access to the fly wheel bolts into the access hole on the right side. You can actually see the hole and the threads line up. Well worth the time of removing the bumper.

The brackets that hold on the O2 sensors are in very cumbersome and in the way when putting everything back together. Easier to just find places to zip tie them and the wiring harnesses to secure them.
I will take a look at this and do a little research. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-06-2024, 11:45 AM
TReK
Received 520 Likes on 451 Posts

RAVE is just the acronym for the Land Rover maintenance manual. I don’t remember what it stands for though.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Find a D1 pan and fit that thing on first. Whoever decided to save 8 bucks and not give D2 owners a proper dipstick should be castrated.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:05 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Harvlr
RAVE is just the acronym for the Land Rover maintenance manual. I don’t remember what it stands for though.
Originally Posted by ahab
Find a D1 pan and fit that thing on first. Whoever decided to save 8 bucks and not give D2 owners a proper dipstick should be castrated.

This was amazing advice! I hate that the d2 is a how thick is the drip and how long did you let it drip Trans. But this easily solves that problem and I never would have thought of it! This is exactly why I came here. Thank you so much!