Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help reading codes, diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help reading codes, diagnosing.

Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 with about 130,000 miles on it. The check engine light was on when I started it and started blinking as I went to leave my driveway. So I think oh **** I need to turn around and park this thing but it died the second I pressed the brake down. Went to start it up again..nothing. Didn’t try to turn over or anything. Gave it like 20 seconds and tried to start it again this time with no problem. Backed up into my spot and pulled the code.
Attached are the pictures.
I changed the spark plugs and wires a couple of days ago hoping that would fix the existing check engine light but no such luck.
I’ve been doing this as a kind of project and am hoping to be able to fix these things on my own. Part of the reason for getting the truck. But I definitely wouldn’t mind some assistance since I’m certainly new to this but am hoping to learn a bunch! If you could give me the beginner information you can make from it along with what I should be looking into that would be awesome.
Also, if you need anymore information please let me know and I’ll try to get that! Again, thank you!
Kelsey

Last edited by Kelseygough; 01-08-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Also check engine stops flashing when stopped or idling.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Not sure I can help, but I can't see a picture.

Have you downloaded the RAVE Manual? It will give you details on the codes by system. From there you just have to learn as best you can.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Do you have any other codes. ?
Very rare for a misfire to just give one code.
FYI - Flashing CEL indicates a problem severe enough to damage the catalytic convertor.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM
4th Gear

Hi, yeah I have a pending P0300 and it shows a second pending P0308...Does that make any sense for the same code to show up twice? Maybe from the severity of it?

Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench

P0300 is a general code.
P0308 pending is irrelevant at this point. It's already current.

If you feel frisky, you could do a compression test. Some mechanics swear you should do one first before even thinking about swapping parts or ordering parts. Me, I'd rather swap stuff around first.

Pull the plug and make sure its not wet with coolant, oil etc.
If its wet, with coolant. Pressure test the cooling system. Oil. you need (Insert deity of choice here).
Not wet, continue below.

Swap the spark plug with the next cylinder. (cylinder 8 with cylinder 6)
If the misfire moves to cylinder 6, its a bum plug.
Swap the spark plug wire with it opposing cylinder. (cylinder 8 with cylinder 7)
If it moves to cylinder 7, bum wire.

If it sticks with Cylinder 8 after swapping, I would go after the Coil. Swapping it with its opposing Coil is possible, its just a royal pain in the ***. But at 130k, I wouldn't lose sleep over replacing both

If the code sticks after that, then it may be an injector (wiring or hardware).

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
P0300 is a general code.
P0308 pending is irrelevant at this point. It's already current.

If you feel frisky, you could do a compression test. Some mechanics swear you should do one first before even thinking about swapping parts or ordering parts. Me, I'd rather swap stuff around first.

Pull the plug and make sure its not wet with coolant, oil etc.
If its wet, with coolant. Pressure test the cooling system. Oil. you need (Insert deity of choice here).
Not wet, continue below.

Swap the spark plug with the next cylinder. (cylinder 8 with cylinder 6)
If the misfire moves to cylinder 6, its a bum plug.
Swap the spark plug wire with it opposing cylinder. (cylinder 8 with cylinder 7)
If it moves to cylinder 7, bum wire.

If it sticks with Cylinder 8 after swapping, I would go after the Coil. Swapping it with its opposing Coil is possible, its just a royal pain in the ***. But at 130k, I wouldn't lose sleep over replacing both

If the code sticks after that, then it may be an injector (wiring or hardware).

Hope this helps.
Good advice on the compression test as well as the swapping of parts. I had a Disco once with low compression on one cylinder only, caused a misfire, although it was not severe enough to blink the light.

My guess is you have a bad plug wire or coil issue.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Extinct
Good advice on the compression test as well as the swapping of parts. I had a Disco once with low compression on one cylinder only, caused a misfire, although it was not severe enough to blink the light.

My guess is you have a bad plug wire or coil issue.
That would be my educated guess too...but lets see where this goes first!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM
4th Gear

Awesome, thank you so much for your input! I will do that when I get home tonight. Hopefully there’s no more snow in the near future.
Would that cause the car to die? I feel like it’s odd that it just died but then started back up a few seconds later.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Kelseygough
Awesome, thank you so much for your input! I will do that when I get home tonight. Hopefully there’s no more snow in the near future.
Would that cause the car to die? I feel like it’s odd that it just died but then started back up a few seconds later.
It depends. I've seen cars run down one cylinder and I have seen cars refuse to stay running down one. Could go either way.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
4wd High
Default DISCO2 exhaust manifold...what is nut size?

cracked Manifold that i am preparing to replace. want to free up these rusted studs. Anyone know what is the socket size on these nuts?

Quick Reply: Looking for help reading codes, diagnosing.