Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase an 04!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase an 04!!!

Im looking @ an 04 SE7 with 59,000 miles and wanted to know if there are any quirks that I should be looking out for when I go totest drive next weekend. Anyinfo would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Looking to purchase an 04!!!

Any quirks to look out for with a British car? Thats like asking if Cuban cigars are better than American cigars!
Ok, here are a few things to look for. Do they have any of the service records? Are the "3 Amigos" on? Do a search on this forum for the 3 amigos and you will find TONS of info. But it can be a nuiecence, and can be a cheap fix for a expensive one, just depends.
Does it have SLS? (self levleing suspension) It can also be problematic when it gets old, but not a deal breaker.
Does it have ACE? (active cornering enhancement) Look at the power steering resevoir, it will have a second cap that says ACE on it.
The front driveshadft will have to be rebuilt with greasable u-joints if it has not already been done. You can do a search for that one too. Around $300 to have a shop do it, less if you can do the work.
You MUST use premium gas. You can expect 12-14 city and 16-18 expressway. These trucks have the areodynamics of a billboard, but it is the smoothest billboard you will ever drive.
Look for the 18" rims, if it has them and you will be driving off road you will want the 16" rims. Alot of people trade 18"'s for 16"'s and vise versa.
Cheack and make sure that everything works, all the windows, all the sunroofs, everything including all the lights.
If the check engine light is on while on your test drive swing into a AutoZone and have them read the trouble codes and then post them on here and we can help you deciede if you need to pass or not.
I really cant think of anything else right now. You can also do a search for "looking to buy" or "noob".
Also go to www.atlanticbritish.com, they have TONS of info on their home page, like tech tips and the like.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think Spike pretty much covered it. 04 is a fantastic year for the DII. After you test drive it, let us know of anything at all you find with it that you think may be problematic. It may be a catastrophic failure in the near future, or it may be absolutely nothing. Good luck

Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Mudding

Quirks? Well, they have issues but most of them are well documented and easy to keep up with. Perhaps the most serious is the possibility of a blown head gasket. Some say it's not "if" it will happen but "when". I oftendrop in on my independent Land Rover Mechanic and I can tell you that it is common however, I've also seenseveral trucks with 150K on them and no problems so you maygetlucky.

The driveshaft issueis a very serious one. If you buy the truck you should immediately take it to a driveline shop and have greasable u joints installed. Easy to do and I had mine done for about $200. Not only is it a safety issue but it could also nearly total your truck if it breaks and takes out your transmission. I have seen the results firsthand and it's not pretty....DO NOT DELAY THIS UPGRADE/REPAIR!

On the plus side, the Disco is, without a doubt, the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. The seat and driving position are the best and for that alone I plan to keep mine forever.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its going to leak, its going to cost you money, lots of stuff will cause you heartache, and you will love every minute of it... especially the part when for like a week everything works all at the same time... but make sure that u keep the initial repairs to a minimum, if you dont like that you will have to do some work immediately on it, then find another one... but u should definitely find one...
________
Live sex

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
4wd Low

I bought an 04 hse with 89000 miles all the bells and whistles and I really love the car. Maint. records are super important on this truckin my opinion. I have had to replace two door lock actuators in eight months , so that may be something to look at. I did mine myself but the dealer wants like $500 to do one. I' ve had to do regular maint. and a few small repairs but overall have been very happy! Good Luck

Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I purchased an 04 in Feb of this year and I still walk up to that vehicle and smile when I see it.

There is plenty of information and good advice from many members here. I have relied upon this site a great deal to keep me in the know about my DII.

One thing that I do every month , thanks to setting up a reminder in Outlook, is cycle through the high and low ranges of the gear box and engage the differentials. I drive 30 feet down my alley forward and back ward through each set of ranges and locking the difs. So far I've noticed that I it is a great deal easier to move the gear shift from high to low after doing this on a regular basis.

I will also be getting the drive shaft altered with greasable points.

So far that is the only thing I"ve noticed I've had to do other than vehcile maintiance perscribed in my owners guide.

Thanks for your time.

TT870

Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling

i bought a 2004 two weeks ago.i love it.i'm still in the "learning how everything works" stage.when i bought it,it had two bad door lock actuators.i ordered a couple from the uk.i have upgraded to synthetic oil and changed my coolant.in the next couple weeks i will change tranny oil/filter and do a brake bleed with dot4 synthetic.in a month i will change front and rear diff and t-case oil to synthetic.it is actually my wifes daily driver and she loves it too.
brett
white rock,b.c.,canada

Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM
8th Gear

Good morning:

Just want to thank everyone for their input. There are great ideas on what to look for. It seems the owner now lives in a high quality area. Since the homes are big, I hope the person does regular maintence. When we looked @ the disco on Sunday, the outside/inside (through the window) looked clean as a whistle. And lets hope that means alot. The guy commutes to the city for work, so I'm hoping to test drive this weekend. I will certainly let everyone know how it goes.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If they live in a nice neighborhood and it looks well maintained then it probably is. Looks like you may just have a good one on your hands here...

Oh, and I demand pictures ASAP.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase an 04!!!