Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at purchasing a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at purchasing a Discovery

I found a great deal on a 1998 Land Rover Discovery Series I

I've read a bit about the Series I, and they seem like great SUVs, but I've got a couple concerns.

1) Reliablity. Not too much of a biggie, most reviews seem to say they're nice and reliable.
2) Fuel economy. Not too much of an issue, but I'd like to get at least 18+mpg. I've seen this is easily achievable with a K&N air filter and an upgraded ignition seems to help some people
3) Towing capacity. On occasion, I might be towing a 3 place ATV trailer, would the Disco be able to handle it fine?
4) Modifications. Mods for Disco's seem pretty hard to find. I've found a few things, but it'd be nice to get everything at one place, you know?

Thank you, and I'll be back later to see your responses!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Looking at purchasing a Discovery

They're reliable, but it might take some extra work after purchase to get it there.
You MUST use premium fuel in these trucks. Forget about the K&N air filter it'll destroy your MAF. You'll want to get Magnecor wires and some Bosch +4 or Champion plugs.
Towing should be ok. There are people that have towed a Disco with their Disco.
What kind of mods are you looking for? Lift, sliders, bumpers? Checkout Rovertym, OME, Expedition Exchange, Trek Outfitters.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling

anythign these guys tell you here will be right on. Search for Discovery and K&N on the fourm page if your curious why we are against K&N. I have a 1999 Series I. I'm a month with it. Pretty much the same as yours, i think.

Anyone tell me major differneces between the 98and96?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

They're reliable, but it might take some extra work after purchase to get it there.
You MUST use premium fuel in these trucks. Forget about the K&N air filter it'll destroy your MAF. You'll want to get Magnecor wires and some Bosch +4 or Champion plugs.
Towing should be ok. There are people that have towed a Disco with their Disco.
What kind of mods are you looking for? Lift, sliders, bumpers? Checkout Rovertym, OME, Expedition Exchange, Trek Outfitters.

Yeah, I'm looking for lifts. Nothing too major, but enough for larger offroad tires.
I found a 2" inch lift kit...

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have rear airbags you might as well go with new 2" coil springs all the way around when you decide to lift.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The difference's between the DI's are...'94 and '95 have the 3.9 litre engine with a distribitor, '96 and newer have the 4.0 and full electronic ignition. 99.5 went to DII, still the 4.0 but now with BOSCH engine managment, DI's have GEMS managment.
DI's tend to be easier to work on than DII's.
No major difference between a '96 and a '98.
With bigger tires there is no way in hell you will get 18mpg.
A K&N air filter will kill your MAF and will not net you any HP or MPG. You MUST use premium gas.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, you'll most likely be in the 15-17 mpg range. They're fun and as far as reliability goes, I think most of the issues on used rigs come from people that buy rigs with deferred maintenance. It's expensive to maintain these if you go to the dealer for everything. Eventually owners start letting thingsgo and by the time the 3rd owner comes along at100k mi, you've got abunch of things just waiting to fail. So, if you find one that has had good maintenance or if yougive yours a once over you should be good togo.I mean, they're built like a tank (hence the lower fuel economy). Our Jeep G/C gets almost 20mpg (average), but it weighs a whole lot less too. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
4wd Low

Mark,

Any secret in achieving 15-17? is this at 55mph, unloaded, flat terrain, skinny tires, etc?
I mean mine ( 03 DII SE ) lifted 2" running 265/75/16 at best does 12-13 at 75mph
I think the only way I can get 18 is down hill in neutral *LOL*

Thanks in advance[sm=thanx.gif]

ORIGINAL: Mark G

Yeah, you'll most likely be in the 15-17 mpg range. They're fun and as far as reliability goes, I think most of the issues on used rigs come from people that buy rigs with deferred maintenance. It's expensive to maintain these if you go to the dealer for everything. Eventually owners start letting thingsgo and by the time the 3rd owner comes along at100k mi, you've got abunch of things just waiting to fail. So, if you find one that has had good maintenance or if yougive yours a once over you should be good togo.I mean, they're built like a tank (hence the lower fuel economy). Our Jeep G/C gets almost 20mpg (average), but it weighs a whole lot less too. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

If you have rear airbags you might as well go with new 2" coil springs all the way around when you decide to lift.
I would recommend you keep the rear Air, and you can get 2" spacers to give you 2" of lift under the bags, thenyou just need tofit lift springs to the front, that way you would have 4" of lift at the push of a button on the rear

Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

I would recommend you keep the rear Air, and you can get 2" spacers to give you 2" of lift under the bags, thenyou just need tofit lift springs to the front, that way you would have 4" of lift at the push of a button on the rear
No way!? Would that really work, I never even thought about it. Great point I will actaully look into that.

As for the original post, DI's are very easy to work on, much easier than the DII. And keep in mind it might have some glitches at first but once you fix them it is a very reliable truck. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing a Discovery