Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking thru receipts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking thru receipts...

Let me first say that I love my Discovery. I also love tinkering with and working on my vehicle. I owned a 83 CJ that I bought in college for $3200 and sold it for 15K. I decided on a Discovery because I like off roading, but I don't like doing it when I'm driving on the interstate and I do a lot more of that now that I'm out of college.

However, I've been doing a little work on my rig this week and was going thru my old receipts of stuff I've fixed, and lets just all agree that LR (and all British auto and motorcycle manufactures to be fair) suck when it comes to electrical issues.

I can understand it on my old Triumph motorcycle, but really why is it that a late model car, can't make it past 75K with out a hefty amount of electrical problems. Nothing that major, but if I had all that cash back, I'd be taking this forum out to a steak dinner.

Anyone else feel my pain?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my interior light no longer comes on when i open the door, it just blinks 7 times then goes off...

soooo yeah i feel you on the electrical issues

Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and lets just all agree that LR (and all British auto and motorcycle manufactures to be fair) suck when it comes to electrical issues.
Oh come on, its what gives them their own unique personality lol.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think older british vehicles with lucas electronics were inferior. However, I think the problem with newer rovers is just too many electronics. It's the same thing with 7 series BMWs, one of the best engineered vehicles in the world, but a lot of people stay away from them because of all the electronic gadgets that fail.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Overlanding

I get what you're saying NiteTrain, and you're probably right. I just know that when my old Triumph and my Disco are doing good, I start looking for something electrical on the fritz.

But then again the only reason I know how to work on electrical stuff is because I replaced the entire electrical system in my American made Jeep CJ, and it was very simple as far as newer vehicles go.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats one of the many things I like about my DI, very few electrics and even fewer that control how it runs.

If I didnt have to fix it or pay for repairs I would have a '08 RR.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

But then how you would you pay to repair the new '08 RR?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too love my Rover despite some clear p.i.t.a. oddities. However, I take offense to your lumping Triumph into the same lot. My Triumph Sprint is just as old as my truck with almost as many miles--it has had NO issues other than a water pump, which I did on my truck too. I think my Sprint is more dependable than my Disco--I just wouldn't take the Sprint on the trails, and would rather be in the Disco on the wide open highway for 8 hours.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Overlanding

bikingteacher,

Sorry to offend, but everything electric on my Triumph has been replaced. About five guys I went to college with had Bonnevilles too, and we worked on them together. I thought it was a forgone conclusion that old Triumph bikes had junk electronics.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Electrics

I guess I've been lucky, or maybe it's because I have a less complicated Disco I, but I have not had any electrical problems. I haven't forded any streams though. I have had many British cars, no bikes, but I think some of this is an urban myth. Don't want to start any flame wars - please. Connectors do get corroded, of course. What type of electrical problems are we talking about ? It's funny to me when I see 2, 3 or 5 year-old vehicles on the road - American, Japanese, German - driving around with headlights out, tail lights out or brake lights out, and I've never even changed a bulb in my 14 year-old Disco and the interior lights still fade after I get out as it was designed.

Quick Reply: Looking thru receipts...