Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Lost one and only key to disco :( (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/lost-one-only-key-disco-30016/)

GARovee 03-28-2010 09:27 PM

Lost one and only key to disco :(

Well.. What can I say? The keys grew legs and walked off. Looked for them all weekend. Thank god for google and a post on discoweb on how to hot wire a disco. Bought two micro switches and mounted them on the roof console right above the sunroof switches. One acc/run and one to start. A hammer and a flat head screwdriver unbolted the ignition switch and stiffed it up in behind the dash. Didn't cut a single factory wire or harness. No steering lock but hey I have push start now :) $39 got spent at bestbuy for keyless entry module.. So about 45 bucks total to fix a major f-up. Can go back to factory set up since I cut nothing and damaged nothing when ever I have a few hundred dollars for new keys and fobs and dealer programming.

tweakrover 03-28-2010 09:40 PM

I'm going to have a key made asap.

tweakrover 03-28-2010 09:41 PM

oh yea where do you live at again?

GARovee 03-28-2010 09:55 PM

I live in North GA. 30 mins north of Atlanta off i85

Danny Lee 97 Disco 03-28-2010 10:08 PM

Good Old Redneck Engineering

Glad to hear you could resolve the problem that way. Just be prepared to explain to cops if they pull you over.

I would consider leaving it like that, why waste a few hundred going back to dealer.

You can check salvage yards for replacement.

I grew up in Georgia from the 1950's til the 1980's. You might be a redneck if you use a hammer and large screwdriver to substitute for your Rover Keys.

I bet Jeff Foxworthy would agree....

"Just Don't Flip Your Rover Over"

tweakrover 03-28-2010 10:12 PM

It was a joke, I don't need a key to steal it, you told us how to start it.

GARovee 03-28-2010 10:27 PM

In all honesty after figuring out how to hot wire it.. It has to be the easiest vehicle to hotwire ever. I bet the wife could use a stop watch and I could have any disco running without a key in 20 seconds. But it'd take me about 5 mins to knock the tamper proof ignition screws out to address the steering lock. lol yeah.. I was freaking out. I called every lock smith around and 3/4 of them just heard $$$ when they heard land rover. Some refused to do it. Some said $325 to originate a key and that was just a reg key.. What a rip. Again.... Thank god for google!!! haha

Scott R 03-28-2010 11:20 PM

About half the vehicles I purchase for our dealership don't have keys. It's $40 for Discovery 1 and 2 keys when I need them. Take the lock cylinder by itself down to the lock smith and they will have one for you in about 10 mins. There is nothing special about Disco keys, they can be copied from a blank found at your local hardware store. And cut very easily.

I'm going to make sure I never mention the 325 you were quoted to my guy. I would hate for him to get an inflated ego.

greenwade 03-29-2010 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Scott R (Post 169923)
About half the vehicles I purchase for our dealership don't have keys. It's $40 for Discovery 1 and 2 keys when I need them. Take the lock cylinder by itself down to the lock smith and they will have one for you in about 10 mins. There is nothing special about Disco keys, they can be copied from a blank found at your local hardware store. And cut very easily.

That is true, but do not plan on using it to start the D2s. Damn smart keys. When i bought my disco 2 it only came with one key. From what I understand is that new keys can only be programmed by a dealer, which like always will rip you off. Needless to say i now how copies that will open the doors but because they are just a normal cut copy of the key without the microchip in it they will not work in the ignition. If someone knows of another way to have the keys programed other than the dealership it would make me happy so i could have a spare. Also anyway that we could get some pics of your hotwire job?

salve7 03-29-2010 03:23 PM

Your D2 key does not have a chip in it like other new cars. The price for programming is just for the keyless entry. You can start and drive them with a regular, cut key. 2003 and 04 I don't know about... they may have chips but I know that a 2000 does not.