Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of dumb questions...so humor me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Trans: drain trans fluid, remove oil pan, replace oil filter, fit oil pan with new gasket and then fill up with fresh trans fluid.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9240.cfm
You can search locally for the trans filter kit.
The trans temp sensor is on the trans oil cooler, attached to the front of the radiator.
For the codes, check your air intake hose (this part http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ESR4236G.cfm) where the PCV hose attaches, it is common that they tear at this point and you get codes if there is an air leak. Run your engine and the wiggle the PCV hose and listen for air being sucked in, if so then seal it with RTV.
I JUST replaced the air intake hose saturday, the old WAS ripped and even had some duct tape (I know, I know). I read and cleared the codes and haven't driven it since I replaced the hose (wanted to wait till I drained some oil) - so maybe some of those codes will be gone when I check tonight!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Well there ya go, you may get lucky and clear all the codes.
Mine was torn as well and threw about 4 codes, they cleared when I put on a new hose.
Hey it would not be a Southern truck if it does not have duct tape somewheres

Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Bundu
Well there ya go, you may get lucky and clear all the codes.
Mine was torn as well and threw about 4 codes, they cleared when I put on a new hose.
Hey it would not be a Southern truck if it does not have duct tape somewheres
Well I'd happy if I cleared 4 and only had 3 to go - and my new o2's cleared those! I can only imagine...

And I wish your "southern truck" quote wasn't so true, lol. I'm working towards de-southernizing it now.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I'm working towards de-southernizing it now.
Now where is the fun in that? Your suppose to get it running good, take it in the woods, and break it again. Find what broke and replace it with something stronger. That's the idea when it comes to 4x4!

________
EASY VAPE REVIEW

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sloan74
Now where is the fun in that? Your suppose to get it running good, take it in the woods, and break it again. Find what broke and replace it with something stronger. That's the idea when it comes to 4x4!
Well if that's the definition of a southern truck, then that is what I am doing. My definition of a southern truck usually includes duck tape (for all repairs), confed flags, and epitaphs.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Winching

Don't forget bailing wire. You can't have a southern truck without duct tape AND bailing wire. That's how I fixed my window LOL. An old hanger bent to the shape I needed. God bless southern engineering.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Bundu is right. I have changed transmission filter and fluid in my discos every time I buy a new one. Kit is like $45 from AB and you will need a transfer pump ($12) and 6-7 quarts of Dex III tranny fluid. Easy to do and the dealer is going to charge you $350. There is a write up at the begining of the posts under "write ups". Have fun, it is a bit of a messy job.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, don't assume the oil pan is empty when you pull it off, I had a nasty surprise and got a face full.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Updates

I did buy one of those hand pumps, it made refilling the diff fluids a breeze. However, I need to order the kit if I'm going to drop the pan. Am I going to need any other tools than what is needed to do the diff fluids?

I'm running 6 codes now (slowly cutting down from 14), all o2 sensor related now: 0134, 0135, 0154, 0155, 0161, 0141

Anyone else giving the "do all 4 sensors at the same time" advice? I have 2 front o2 sensors ready to put on, and just don't feel like buying the rear ones...but if it has proven to be an issue 2 at a time and can save me some trouble, then I will find the money...or cut the wife's budget.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned

Normally do the O2 sensors in pairs, front or rear as required. Also check the wires and connectors on the sensor cables, just in case they are loose or worse that they have been melted by the exhaust. Replace the front 2 since you have them and then see what happens with the codes. The front 2 are the worst to get to, the back 2 are easier.
The tranny oil filter has those crappy torque screws and they are pretty damn tight.

Quick Reply: Lots of dumb questions...so humor me.