Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of issues!

Just bought a Disco II with 130,000 miles. Ran hot on the 300 mile trip home. I am getting it looked at tomorrow. The transfer case will not go into neutral or low. The cruise control doesn't work. It has random fault lights. The rear bags have been replaced with coils. If anyone can offer me any help, please do. I didn't go into detail on things I know but when someone offers help, I will elaborate on the issue. Thanks! BTW I have the Rave manual but I am a first Disco owner and pretty ignorant about them.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default advil to start

Buy a big bottle of advil and stock the frig with beer... Just kidding...well kind of... I got my daughter a 2000 disco and it has a bunch of small issues. But it drive great . I got it as i have a Range Rover 4.0 with over 212,000 miles on it and it wont die..... It's the only truck i know how to work on so it keeps costs down and i dont have to learn a new system. All i can tell you if you dont stress on all the issues ....and let me tell you, these cars have more issues than a trophy wife.....And you take care of the important ones, some experienced members here will help you with the issues, the truck can last forever...

welcome to the insanity....

Last edited by vandev; 07-27-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
4wd Low

Just not used to something like that. I had a Jeep Liberty diesel and it was never any trouble and I beat the hell out of it. It went with the ex. Also, the cd changer won't work. The radio just says "no magazine". Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
TReK

Well we need to know the details if you want us to really help. Get your codes read and come back to us.

On your cruise control is your horn not working either? If so check the horn fuse under the hood. Does the cruise control button on the dash light up when you press it? If not check the cruise control fuse. It is the same fuse as the compass and the cigarette lighter.

Some things to get on top of. Change your Transmission fluid, transfer case and differentials and grease your driveshafts. While you are greasing them check the front Ujoints for signs of impending doom. Also check the ignition wires and if they don't say Magnecor add those to your list for your next tuneup ($85 from apex performance). With your mileage stay on top of the maintenance or your time will be short.

Welcome to the insanity.

Last edited by lipadj46; 07-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Winching

Radio says "No Mag" right? when mine does this i eject the mag, shut off the radio, re-insert the Mag, then turn on the radio and hit CD. may have to do this a few times, its the only thing that works for me.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
4wd Low

Okay on the cruise. The led on the button illuminates but that's all that happens. Cigar lighter, horn, and all works fine. No blown fuses unless there is a third fuse panel.

I do know that the plug, wires, and coil ws changed within the last year. Not sure of manufacturer. Also, how much have you been paying for head gasket replacements? Labor that is. I am doing an oil change tomorrow and one of the gearboxes. Which one should be first?

I am getting the ACE flashing red, TC, ACE amber at times, ABS, and check engine. Not all at once but more than one at times. Some of these are probably related to removing the bags and replacing them with coils???

Send more ?s and advice please.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make damn sure you check that front drive shaft for grease fittings at the double joint at the transfer case. If you don't see any grease fittings on the u-joints, you need to have that driveshaft rebuilt with greasable u-joints. Or install an aftermarket one.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 AM
TReK

The ABS, TC and Hill Decent lights can be due to many things brake related, bleed your brake fluid as the first step (Dot 4 fluid). On the wires, if they are not rover or magnecor or some other high end silicon wires they could be going bad and you are getting intermittent misfires. Cheap wires can go bad in months in a hot rover engine compartment. Does your check engine light come on on wet mornings and does the truck misfire when it's wet?

I did my own head gaskets but going rate is 12 hours labor plus parts. A dealer will charge around $2000-2500 and an indy will be around $1200-1500. Do you suspect you have HG issues? Are you losing coolant, do you have coolant in your oil?

Change your ATF first (regular old transmission fluid from the manual) then change your gear boxes next weekend (use a heavier synthetic gear oil than in the manual). On your oil change use Mobile 1 10W-40 or 15w-50 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter (or another good synthetic in a similar weight). Use a Mobile 1 301 filter or a K&N 3001, WIX are also good but I'm not sure the #. If they look up the filter they will give you a shorter one (214 or something), the 301 are longer and give you more filtering capacity.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

PM me your tele number and don't waste your money taking it to a dealer, they will empty your credit cards and give you little help.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling

On the Cruise, check the vacumn hose. May be split or broken. Cheap to replace.

Quick Reply: Lots of issues!