Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Presure

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Presure

2003 Disco 69000. Is it worth it to get a new oil pump? What does it intell? Yes my VIN range does fall under the TSB. I thinkmy mech said it was 4# under at idle and better at 2000 rpm. My worst nightmare is coming true. A new engine is just not an option. I still owe on the truck (unfortunatly more than its worth because of the gas prices). Am I screwed?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Low Oil Presure

New oil pump, not really worth it. It will go out again. If you pulled the front cover off and removed the oil pump cover, you will probably find the outer pump gear is cracked in numerous spots. You probably already have bearing damage(usually the rod bearings go first). The pump only comes with the entire front cover. Parts and labor run a couple grand. You could replace now, hope for the best, or new engine to resolve issue, or trade vehicle in.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Wait on the pump...

Need to get your oil pressure checked and let everyone know what it is...

Pull the sump and check for sludge (easy) and debris (not so easy)...

I had the same problem and replaced the pump - no fix... Was going to do rod and main bearings yesterday when Rob @ SouthWest Rovers pulled the sump and found debris that wasn;t there when we did the oil pump... He checked the cam bearing and it had worn and worked itself out a bit... Pulling the block to check if the cast/bore hole can seat a new bearing...

Oh yeah, I'm @ 54k miles and in the VIN!!!

Jonathan

Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Mudding

Engines been flushed before changing to synthetic. Oil pan has been dropped, and screen checked. Thinking about trying ATF flush and seafoam.
The thought of tradeing her in makes me feel the same as getting a new engine; like im gonna throw up!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, if you trade her in then some unsuspecting buyer will buy the truck and then need to replace the entire engine, are you that kind of person to screw over a stranger? Or anybody for that matter?
Replace the oil pump and hope for the best.
Even if there is some bearing damage you can still drive the truck. The engine might be noisy but so what?
Then the next time the oil pump goes out replace the engine.
Its probally not as bad as you think.
To often we throw our hands up in the air and give up before the game is even over, just because you are down by several points doesnt mean that you cant come back and still win.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling

I wouldn't screw anyone over, not in my nature. I was just giving options.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys. Well probably gonna get a new front cover and see what happens. Does anyone know the best place to get one. Anything else need to be done.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.atlanticbritish.com, also get a new oil pump.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Mudding

is the front cover and oil pump seperate?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling

The new front cover has the oil pump installed. The only way to get a new pump is to get the front cover as the pump outer bearing is part of the front cover. Replace your front crank seal at the same time, I can't recall if the front cover will come with it.
You will need a new water pump gasket, it needs to be swapped over, a new cam sensor o-ring, there are also two o-rings for the oil filter adapter piece that you should replace as well, a new oil pan gasket, oil and new filter, coolant,....that should just about cover it.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Presure