Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Presure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low Oil Presure

They can be, but if you get a new oil cover, it comes with the pump... It will also come with the seal...

britishpacific.com has the oil pumps cheaper than any one else - that's where I got mine...

Your scenario is EXACTLY the same as mine... 4psi @ hot idle and 32psi @ 2000rpm and above... Replaced that pump and no fix... Afterwards, had 7psi @ hot and 38psi @ 2000rpm and above... Went in to do rod and main bearings and that's when we found the debris and the cam bearing had worked itself out a bit and can be spun by hand... I'm hoping the opening is okay so we can just seat a new bearing and cam, but I have prepared for the worst (engine replacement)...

Jonathan

Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

jm-where have you looked for a new/used engine? Just in case you didnt know you can put a '04 or '02 engine in your '03 truck.
www.roverlandparts.com has good used engines. I was going to sujest a engine rebuild for you but then I remembered that you have a '03 and that wouldnt solve anything.
What really sucks is that it sounds like you have already spent enough money trying to repair the engine that you could have had it replaced already.
That sucks. Good luck to both of you.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Mudding

jmrivera has your oil light come on? Is it driveable? No light here, runs good.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a engine on hand just in case I can;t salvage mine... The guy working on it was building one for someone on the condition that the guy would sell his house - well, you know the rest... I'm going to stick with the 4.6L since I do a lot of towing and wan the extra power... I've looked at RoverLand as a back-up...

My light was on and remained on after the oil pump replacement.. That's when we went in to do bottom half bearings - then we discovered the cam bearing... I was driving it since my oil pressure went up after the new pump install - mainly because the rod and main bearings took 3 weks to come from the UK...

Jonathan

Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco C

jmrivera has your oil light come on? Is it driveable? No light here, runs good.
I hear your concern about your engine, but are you having any problems, light coming on, engine noise, low pressure?? Have you actually had all 4 oil pressure tests performed, cold at idle, cold at 2000 rpm's, warm at idle and warm at 2000 rpm's. If not quit worrying about it, cause even though your engine falls within the vin range, doesn't mean you will be having a problem.
If you do have a problem, talk with Rover as to what parts to replace and what the failure rate would then look like.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Mudding

Thanks Mike.
The oil light has not come on(only at start up, like normal). i have a slight engine tick only wants engine has warmed up. Mech presure tested when looking for problem. Said presre was a bit low at idle, better ar rpm. He did not know about the TSB, he called rover so he could see it. He suggested just replacing oil pump/front cover.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Mudding

How much should i expect to pay for front cover replacement?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Dealer, ~1800...

independent shop, ~1200... If you can get them to order the front cover from british pacific, it's cheaper by a lot!

no light, then why does he want to replace the front cover??? I had a bit of a tick also, but after reading several forums, I thought it was "normal"... Your situation sounds just like mine..

If the dealer wants to replace the part without really knowing what's wrong, I'm not sure... I'm thinking it's the cam bearing like mine... I think dropping the sump and checking the cam bearing would be worth the time...

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Which one is it on British Pacific ($)? He said presure was lower than normal, oil pump might be on the way out.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling

LJR000220 $429.00 have to call...

Quick Reply: Low Oil Presure