Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LUCKY 8 Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LUCKY 8 Drive Shaft

So I just searched for two hours for information on the Lucky8 drive shaft. Does anyone have this replacement drive shaft and can comment on build/grease fittings/longevity? I found a couple posts on members ordering the DS, but I couldn't find any information other than what's listed on Lucky8.

Here is the link to the DS: LINK

This is for a daily driver and once per month off-roading. Sorry if this was already discussed, I just couldn't find it.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know the driveshaft in question, but I do know Justin and Erik at Lucky8, and they are good guys to work with. They also support our local events in NC, VA & WV. Also, check with Will Tillery, since you are in Roanoke where his new shop is, he may be able to get you a Tom Woods front driveshaft and do the install for you if you are interested in a package deal for a good price. He replaced mine while he had my D2 in doing the head gaskets a couple years ago. I have the parts to rebuild my original front driveshaft, and may get to that some day to have a spare to carry when I hit the trails. GBR "Great Basin Rovers" has a good reputation for driveshafts for D2's as well.

There are some good events coming up in the next week and through the summer months into the fall within an hour to 3-4 hours of Roanoke if you are interested in making some of these trips. Give me a shout.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Tony. I will get in contact with Will. I would still like to how people liked their Lucky8 drive shaft.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

No 1st hand knowledge on that one. I have a gbr on the rear and bpu on the front. They have been reliable and issue free. I, personally, would recommend. I also Have tom woods on another, as a front replacement, but haven't driven it enough to make a determination.

Is the one, that you referenced, the pro shaft option?

Last edited by dusty1; 05-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It's not a pro-shaft to the best of my knowledge.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Drifting

I just put one in my wife's disco.

Only issue for a serious off reader would be the non lubable centering ball. Other than that seems like a solid unit.

I greased it up with Lucas HD grease and bolted it in.

Considering a used unit of unknown mileage would have cost $300 I think this is great.

By the way they have other more robust options available.
Give them a call.

Good luck

Eric

Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I just ordered the replacement front prop-shaft from Lucky 8, I think it cost $220 and it's a fully serviceable unit, I know there's a couple "Heavier-Duty" units available from Rover Shops around the country, but for my daily driver use and occasional off-roading I think this unit will suffice. I trust Erik and Justin's opinions on pretty much anything Land Rover, they're always willing to offer their support and time. And I'm really happy with this purchase of this Front Prop Shaft. And everything else I've purchased from them.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the BP Utah shaft and I'm sending back for repairs or replacement. Its looks pretty sweet, but I'm getting a vibration from it, I'm sure they'll honor their warranty though.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
I bought the BP Utah shaft and I'm sending back for repairs or replacement. Its looks pretty sweet, but I'm getting a vibration from it, I'm sure they'll honor their warranty though.
I encountered the same issue with the BP Utah front drive-shaft last year. Had to return one for another due to a vibration issue. Sorry to hear that you have the same issue.... not fun to have to go through all the trouble to install it, then have to remove it, ship it and then re-install again. Interestingly, the BPUtah website indicated their drive-lines have undergone "Dual Balancing (High/Low Speed)".

Old 05-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
Been there, done that....a few times. I finally gave up and went with the one from lucky8 and have really liked it so far.

Quick Reply: LUCKY 8 Drive Shaft