Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M and S lights flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M and S lights flashing.

Alright the car has 100000 miles
02 dico

It doesn't start. The starter berally moves the engine even trying to jump start it with another car. So it is at my house, and I have no idea what to do. There are no dealers close by. There is only a mechanic that does work on land rovers he offers to tow it but the guy usually charges way to much to fix whatever is wrong with the truck.
Any help is appreciated.
thank ya

Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Your battery voltage is low. Replace the battery. If it's so dead even jump starting won't help then the battery needs replaced. Also take you alternator to a shop like NAPA and have it tested to make sure it is putting out proper voltage and amperage.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Overlanding

Sure thing buddy
I took it to auto zone but something seemed fishy they said it was good.

But dude I put in a fairly new batter from a sedan and nothing.......

Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Mudding

The new battery from the sedan may not have the required cranking amps to turn over your land rover's motor. If your alternator is fine then the battery is shot, buy a new one for your truck.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anything below 13.6 Amps will cause the M & S flash.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
anything below 13.6 Amps will cause the M & S flash.
Sweet then what do i tell the auto-zone freaks where i bought the battery from. They are not honoring their warranty because their stupid machine says its good.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by alexzracer2008
Sweet then what do i tell the auto-zone freaks where i bought the battery from. They are not honoring their warranty because their stupid machine says its good.
Take it to a different Auto Zone or talk to a manager. Are your connections good? (no corrosion, nice and tight, etc,...)

Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Mudding

Sounds to me like you have a dead battery. Did you leave the lights on? Do you have a high wattage audio system in it? Did you kill the battery? Even if none of these are true it sounds like your battery just needs to be charged. Have autozone charge the battery for you, then put it back in your truck and try to start it. Oh I also just noticed that you had your battery tested but not your alternator, if you can get the battery charged and start the vehicle. Let it run in your driveway for about 15 minutes if it dies before 15 minutes is up you need a new alternator.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Overlanding

Got a brand new spanking battery and it doesn't start, it doesn't even turn the engine. I try again and then not even the radio works nothing, not a even the little light that worked before I tried starting it works. :/
I'm screwed.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by alexzracer2008
Got a brand new spanking battery and it doesn't start, it doesn't even turn the engine. I try again and then not even the radio works nothing, not a even the little light that worked before I tried starting it works. :/
I'm screwed.
Keep your pants you're fine I had the SAME EXACT situation the other day. Check and make sure the connections at the battery are TIGHT. Any looseness and you won't get a good enough connection (I barely had enough connection for the clock on the inside. Use some di-electric grease on the battery cable terminals and that should get you going, then clamp the terminals down to make sure they are snug.

Get back to us after trying this.

Quick Reply: M and S lights flashing.