Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M and S plus D Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M and S plus D Flashing

Ok guys, did some plenty of searching on the topic and want to bounce some thoughts around.

As the subject says, I get a frantic call from the wife (with 2 yr old in tow) on the way to taking him to day care that the M and S plus Drive are flashing on the Rover AGAIN. I say AGAIN because I had the issue about 6 months or so ago and replaced the battery. Issue gone. About 2 months ago wife is driving the Rover, same issue, this time Rover dies on the side of the road. Figured out we needed a new alternator. Everything has been ok (minus three amigos) until today. Along with the flashing, it sounds like the trans is in limp mode. She said she had to give it a good amount of throttle to reach 10 mph or so. So I'm wondering...

1) Could the complete drain of the battery from the alternator going out have nuked the battery down enough that it will start, but still cause the fault?

Another point: We have had a TON of rain here in central Indiana. Coming home last night, she drove through a fairly large and deep puddle in the road. I read somewhere online that there is a box on the side of the trans that can get wet and cause the issue.

Turning the Rover off and back on doesnt work either. Seems like the fault is stuck on

Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you've replaced the battery and alternator, you might want to check the battery connections. The stock battery cables seem to get worn easily and even if they seem like they are on the battery posts good and tight, they're not. I had trouble with this a little while back.

Also check your grounds to the frame and clean everything up with a wire brush, then get some dielectric grease on everything and see if that helps.

----

The other option you mentioned is the XYZ switch, which can get wet from the A/C drains. I don't think driving through a puddle would do it, our DII's are water friendly

Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol at DII's being water friendly

Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replaced the alternator 2 months ago you say? That's about how long the rebuilds from Advance last.

Check it again. And buy a real one or have it rebuild by a reputable rebuiilder.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After getting a test of the battery and alternator at AutoZone and the guy not knowing whether it was the alt or battery giving me issues, I have resorted to only running the AC when I'm on the interstate... I only get the flashing M+S when driving in stop-and-go traffic with the AC running.

Oh, and I don't ever let my wife drive my Disco... at least 10 different things I have to remind her about with my quirky POS before she walks out with my keys.

Last edited by HelenaRover; 05-26-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by HelenaRover
I have resorted to only running the AC when I'm on the interstate... I only get the flashing M+S when driving in stop-and-go traffic with the AC running.
Alabama Summer Heat + Alabama Summer Humidity + Stop and Go Traffic with NO A/C? I sure hope you have waterproof seat covers!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Drifting
Default Gremlins???

The mystery continues....

So after yesterdays flashing M & S & D issue, the wife gets the Rover home, parks it and goes to work. I come home about 4-5 hours later from work, start the Rover, no flashes. Drove all night fine. I did notice that it seemed to turn over a tad slow.

Wife gets up to leave to go to work again this morning....same issue. Flashing M/S/D. I measured the batt voltage at rest, 12.33 V and at Idle once I started it, 14.5 V. It turned over pretty slow when it started.

When I replaced the alternator, I did get it at Auto Zone and they had to order it for me. I wasnt lead to believe that I was buying a rebuilt part. Came with a lifetime warranty, whatever that means. Someone on here mentioned that they only last 2 months???

So the question I have now is WTF??? Do I limp it down to Auto Zone and have them test the Batt (replaced 6 months ago) and the alternator (replaced two months ago)? Or do I throw the battery charger on it for a while and see what happens? Only other thing I'm thinking is that maybe the starter is possibly on its way out and causing battery drain over night??

Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starters don't cause battery drain.

You alternator and/or battery are failing, again. Autozone alternator rebuilds are garbage.

Charge the battery so it doesn't run like crap and bring it back to autozone for them to test. Make sure your battery cables are clean and well attached first.

You can get another "lifetime" rebuild, but it will also die in 2-6 months if all reports on here and other Rover forums are correct.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
....you might want to check the battery connections. The stock battery cables seem to get worn easily and even if they seem like they are on the battery posts good and tight, they're not. I had trouble with this a little while back.

Also check your grounds to the frame and clean everything up with a wire brush, then get some dielectric grease on everything and see if that helps.....
Originally Posted by DarylJ
.....Make sure your battery cables are clean and well attached first.......
You didn't mention if you cleaned and checked your connections yet, and "They feel tight" isn't enough....START SIMPLE before you start tearing everything apart.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Man, thats about rediculous. So whats the remedy?? Take the rebuild to a rebuild guy that knows what he's doing?? I'm about over the Rover man...p***ing me off something terrible lately

Quick Reply: M and S plus D Flashing