Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made your own bumpers/racks/ect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made your own bumpers/racks/ect.

Has anyone on here made their own bumpers/rack/ect.? Pictures, write-ups, help?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on making my own large roof rack for my 95. I will be using square tube with rounded corners. my friend can weld it up for me so I thought it would be cheaper than buying one. I'll get pics of the process when it happens.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'm going to be making my own roof basket this summer also.. I will document the process..

Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i mad emy own roof rack and i must tell you that you have to think about how you are going to mount it first......

i made my rack and then spent another 300 bucks on mounting it and i know i wouldnt do it again

i had to custom make my own mounts and have a local company copy my orginal to make 6 identical copies..... not cheap...

anyone can make a rack or basket..... just think about how your gonna mount it.....i would buy a rack next time around!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TopherDisco
Has anyone on here made their own bumpers/rack/ect.? Pictures, write-ups, help?
Instead of asking us, tell us what you are thinking about make and what sort of welding experience you have.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Instead of asking us, tell us what you are thinking about make and what sort of welding experience you have.
I will start off by saying that I have no welding experience. But my roommate and a friend both have fabrication experience. And they're both itching for a project for the summer.

I'm looking to do both bumpers, rock sliders, and a full roof rack. I was going to base them off models I like that I've found online.

Front bumper: replace stock crap bumper with a steel bumper. I have the stock brush guard, and my guys say they could pretty easily cut and integrate the top part into a fabricated bumper. Also make a winch tray for when I invest in one.

Back Bumper: I like the 'Greg Davis' style one, and don't mind trimming the back panels (Disco's got enough *** that trimming some won't matter). However I've seen some that use the stock lights in different ways integrated. I like the idea of that because this is also my DD. I'm also making sure I integrate a tow hitch. I have an SD, and it came with little to no extras, and a tow hitch would be an almost essential addition.

Sliders: Gotta be better than the plastic crap that's on there. These seem like they'll be the easiest to do.

Roof Rack: We're looking at an 'Voyager/Safari/(the one that follows the roof line)' style. I like the models I've seen that have 2 platforms instead of a sloping line. Seems like it would be easier to make.

Is this a better explanation?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i plan on doing my own rack and front winch bumper (tube type) this summer when it too hot to be out during the day. For mounting the rack i was looking at these.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=XJMISC

Worked great on my Cherokee but i dont know if the gutters are the same. I'll buy them and try i guess.

Dave

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Those mounts are not tall enough for the Disco. Also you can have a local shop make some for you for about the same amount of money that will fit what you need.

I have made series of racks over the years and some desgins are far easier than others. A voyager rack copy is going to involve far more thought than a flat one. Now days when I build I always do a couple versions and prototypes before I ever really get to making the real rack. I will start with PVC and then nmake one out of cheap EMT and use the screw on connectors to see how it will work on the roof. Then once you gat it all right then you will have the right measurements and angles needed to make what you want.

The easiest way to attach a rack is to use a Yakima or Thule base bars and then just drill and put a bolt through it. It will be taller than you probably want though.

The reasons I have ever built a rack was becasue there was nothing on the market that really fit my needs so I would have to make it myself. I have some pictures somewhere so I will see if I can find them and then post them up.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a TJM 1/2 rack that would be okay to fabricate.

If you can cut, bend & weld you could do it.

if you want I'll take some pics over the weekend.

I fit it over the back - I have sports bars on the front. you could rework the design principles to make a full rack.
________
VAPORIZERS INFO

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TopherDisco
I will start off by saying that I have no welding experience. But my roommate and a friend both have fabrication experience. And they're both itching for a project for the summer.

I'm looking to do both bumpers, rock sliders, and a full roof rack. I was going to base them off models I like that I've found online.

Front bumper: replace stock crap bumper with a steel bumper. I have the stock brush guard, and my guys say they could pretty easily cut and integrate the top part into a fabricated bumper. Also make a winch tray for when I invest in one.

Back Bumper: I like the 'Greg Davis' style one, and don't mind trimming the back panels (Disco's got enough *** that trimming some won't matter). However I've seen some that use the stock lights in different ways integrated. I like the idea of that because this is also my DD. I'm also making sure I integrate a tow hitch. I have an SD, and it came with little to no extras, and a tow hitch would be an almost essential addition.

Sliders: Gotta be better than the plastic crap that's on there. These seem like they'll be the easiest to do.

Roof Rack: We're looking at an 'Voyager/Safari/(the one that follows the roof line)' style. I like the models I've seen that have 2 platforms instead of a sloping line. Seems like it would be easier to make.

Is this a better explanation?
Are you using a KN air filter, if so get rid of it before you kill your MAF?
As for pictures, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some of what I did on mine.

Quick Reply: Made your own bumpers/racks/ect.